Port Angeles to Victoria - Customs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling via M.V. Coho from Port Angeles to Victoria (with our vehicle) next Friday, 8/29. Where do we go through customs? Anything we should know ahead of time to make the process easier and/or quicker?

We have a confirmed reservation and we are aware we need to be in Port Angeles at least an hour before departure, anything else we should be aware of?

Thank you!

Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 04:20 AM

When we made this passage a couple of years ago, customs was set up where you exit the ferry. You drive out the exit ramp, curve a bit and there are the customs agents waiting for you. They come down the line of cars to ask the usual questions. Check out what things are not allowed into Canada and leave them home. Usually only takes a few minutes per car but it still means a long wait if you are the last car off the ferry. I don't know how you avoid that.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks rm, this seems pretty simple.

I just read on Frommer's website that some people pay the deposit for the crossing they want and the next one just in case. I checked the website just now and the next crossing is "first come, first served" only. I would think we can get on the ferry with a confirmed reservation, even though others may have been in line for hours? I wouldn't be so uptight except it is Labor Day weekend, I'm totally unfamiliar with how things work and we have at least a five hour drive to get to Port Angeles.

Can we relax since we are confirmed to cross? I would think arriving a little more than an hour in advance will to adequate.

Anyone know how this works? Are there separate lines for those with reservations?

Thanks!
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 12:14 PM

Yes, there is a separate line for those with reservations. They will tell you when you have to be there if you have reservations. Be there at that time.

Those without reservations, in the meantime, line up in a separate place. These cars are taken on the ferry in order, first come, first serve.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 10:56 PM

Yes, you can relax. With a reservation you will be fine.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! It is nice to know we can relax about our trip over to Victoria.

We will be leaving our house very early Friday morning. Are there any good places to eat near the terminal or on the way in? We will be coming in to Port Angeles on US 101 North. If we don't have time to stop for a meal, is there any food available on the ferry?

Thanks again everyone.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 09:03 AM

Hi Linda137,

The Coho ferry terminal is located very close to downtown Port Angeles.
Once you have parked your car in the lineup for the ferry they will tell you when you have to be back for immigration, and then you can wander a few blocks and find some very nice restaurants for a bite to eat. The food on the ferry is rather dismal (in my opinion)other than the clam chowder so I strongly advise you to eat first, or buy something before you board.
Enjoy the trip.