Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Please help w/ cabin options in the Rockies

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Rosemary

Hi, all!

Posted about a week ago, requesting info on the following, & didn't get any replies. Will try again, as we are *still* considering making a trip to the Rockies this early Sept. (Debating between that & West Coast Vancouver Island...may save VI for May, not sure yet.)

Please, if anyone has stayed at any of the following - *especially* if you might have stayed at several in an area, please do share your experience & opinions. It's tough to make a "call" on these, even after having read prior threads on *some* of these & book reviews.

Visited the Rockies in '95. Stayed at the Banff Springs (it was less then), Moraine Lake Lodge, Deer Lodge, Emerald Lake Lodge, & some non-descript place in Jasper. This time would prefer to stay in a cabin-like facility in at least two areas - to help make this trip a bit different from the last one.

First, would like help w/choices in the Jasper area : Becker's vs. Tekarra Lodge vs. Patricia Lake. Has anyone stayed at both Becker's & Tekarra, who could compare them for location & interior decor, or compare them w/Patricia Lake? Would really appreciate this.

Considering Cathedral Mtn. Chalets, too, in Yoho. However, might splurge for Emerald Lake Lodge again, as we had such a nice time there in '95. However, any reviews of Cathedral Mtn. are most welcome!

Lastly, near Banff/Lake Louise, am considering some spots on the Bow Parkway - Johnston Canyon resort (cabins), Castle Mtn. Chalets, & Baker Creek Chalets. Could anyone make recommendations between these?? Would like to do the Johnstone Canyon Trail to the Inkpots, so that's why we're considering staying along this Parkway. Didn't do this hike, last time.

Oh, sorry! - One last lodging query ...has anyone stayed at the Icefield Chalet on the Icefields Parkway? Have read almost nothing about this place... We're trying to decide whether it's worth the slow-down, to overnight along the parkway, or whether to just head all the way to Jasper again (like last time). We didn't make it out onto the glacier in '95 - am considering that this time, & thinking overnighting might make that more a possibility.

Looking forward to any feedback you'd be willing to provide... Thanks a lot!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 01:14 PM
w

might i suggest that you are not getting any replies because you are sooooo long winded. quick, precise questions will get responses.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:13 PM
msa

In the Banff/Lake Louise area we stayed at the Baker Creek Chalets (although back in the fall of '89) and absolutely LOVED it!!! Our cabin had two bedrooms...one with a queen bed, the other with 2 twin beds. the furnishings were so pretty that I commented on them to the owners and they said they were from Ethan Allen. The restaurant was wonderful too...the chef came out and talked to each table during the meal. We are still trying to find a time to go back there.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Kam

HI Rosemary - we stayed in the Johnston
Canyon resort a couple of years ago. The cabins were quaint and the hike was definitely worth doing! Good luck with your trip. ( I live on Vancouver Island and don't think you could go wrong visiting here either for that matter)

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 12:33 PM
Rosemary

Thanks you two for your feedback. That helps a lot!

Now, our trip plans have needed to change until later in Sept. (Sept.15 - 25 or so) - due to work. Confuses things a bit more, regarding just which place to visit - the Rockies or Vancouver Island's wilder areas. May post again, to ask how both places are in *late* September...will also read other threads here.

Thanks again!

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:58 PM
Eva

Couple of yrs. ago we stayed at Beckers Chalets nr. Jasper and liked it very much. We had a unit on 2nd floor overlooking grassy area . Rustic, but nice rustic ! The restaurant was good, too.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Rosemary

Thanks, Eva!

Did you feel like Becker's was right on the river, or not that close? I hear that Tekarra Lodge is also near the river. Not sure which is better located, but sounds like
accomodations-wise, you were pleased w/Becker's.

Thanks for your assistance.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:43 PM
msa

We were at the Baker Creek Chalet in mid-September and the weather was gorgeous that week. Wore shorts almost every day. Did do the hike at Johnston Canyon...wonderful place to go!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:22 AM
ja

Hi, Rosemary,
I have never stayed at Tekarra Lodge, but have just returned home from a week at Becker's Chalets (not our first time there, either). I really like the riverfront chalets at Becker's - we were in #32, and I fell asleep every night listening to the Athabasca River rushing along. The cabins (older) are rustic, varnished-log construction, and the furmishings are comfortable, with wood-burning fireplaces. The duplex/fourplex/condo units are newer and have natural gas fireplaces. The restaurant has a great international reputation (but we do our own cooking as we take a cabin with a full kitchen - we like to cook together) and the drive from the townsite turnoff (on Hwy. 16) to Becker's is only 9 minutes.
ja

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Tammy

Hi Rosemary

I have stayed at the castle mountain chalets and they are just beuatiful .. was many years ago .. so I can imagine they are even better now Have a great trip .. anywhere in the Banff area will be enjoyable

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 03:58 PM
Rosemary

Thanks to all for your terrific recommendations!

I appreciate your feedback on places you've stayed. Can't wait to actually get booking soon.

Work *keeps* getting in the way, though.
Now, the word is, we might only be able to take little more than a week, due to project deadlines. Bummer! Seems like you really need 10 days- 2 weeks to do the Rockies justice.

Will keep trying, but the only way we could get a longer trip is to not leave until Sept. 28. And, that seems too late for both the Rockies & Vancouver Island. I mean, we could get lucky w/okay weather at either, but aren't the odds going to be pretty awful by then?

And, I assume many activities will have closed down...eg: tea houses at Lake Louise...and on Vanc. Island, some of the whale excursions, etc.

Thanks, again!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 01:40 PM
Kam

I'm not sure about the Rockies at that time of year but I do know that it is one of my favourite times on Vancouver Island. The weather can be gorgeous late Sep/Oct (of course it can rain too but then you should have been here last Friday!) and best of all you're hitting off season rates. There will be plenty of things to do even if a few activites have closed.