Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Please help! Need place to stay between Riviere Du Loup and Halifax

Old Jul 30th, 2018, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there! We're driving out to Cabot Trail and have a night between our Riviere Du Loup Hotel and the one in Halifax. To help break up that drive (we have two sweet little darlings!) is there a neat place to check out and stay between the two cities? I know that there's Fredericton and Moncton but was hoping for a neat place that's a little different. Thanks so much!

Danielle
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 07:17 PM

LOL - well - "a little different" would have to include

a night beside the lighthouse at Cape D'or, Nova Scotia !!!

It's just you, the rocky shore, the nearby lighthouse, and the Bay of Fundy with all of its tidal wonders.

I wish it were more central to your two spots... but alas, it takes about 8 hours of driving time from Riviere-du-Loup to Cape D'or...

and then 3 hours, 15 minutes from there to Halifax.

The nearby restaurant can match your dining needs both in the evening and in the morning.

The guest house there offers a private bedroom/bathroom for each party, and a shared living area should anyone want to do light cooking and/or read or play cards, etc.

Contact the nice man named Darcy, who can be found via Google, to make arrangements.

Clarity: upon arrival, the path will entail perhaps 5 km down a dirt road, to a parking lot, from which you take a trail down a steep-enough hill to reach the accommodations.

I believe the host, Darcy, can arrange to transport guests to and from the parking lot in his ATV.

I am quite familiar with the area in question... and Moncton is sorta ordinary in most ways, Truro is very ordinary in most ways... Fredericton is OK, but I can't think of anything "neat" and/or "a little different" there.

Were it me, I think I'd opt to skip Fredericton on the drive and instead go nearer to the eastern shore of NB.

There is probably no way around at least 8 or 9 hours of driving time between your two spots, and I promise you that you'd get "a little different" if willing to add 2 or 3 more hours to the trip this way.
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! This sounds fantastic! I'm going to look into it.