Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Accommadation in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia suggestion? And driving distance from Lunenburg to Pictou?

Search

Accommadation in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia suggestion? And driving distance from Lunenburg to Pictou?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning my parents' trip to Nova Scotia for next month, they plan to stay one night in Lunenburg, from reading through many posts, it seems Mariner King Inn or Lunenburg Inn are all right, is there any other suggestion?

Will the drive from Lunenburg up to part of Glooscrap Trail then to Pictou be too much for one day?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 02:17 AM

How far up the Glooscap Trail are they planning to go? How many days do they have?
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

To Tanya,

Many thanks for the reply, I have read lots of your posts, they are most helpful.

Tentatively, they plan to drive from Lunenburg to Wolfville then to Pictou for the night, then go to Cape Breton, stay at Cheticamp for one night, then to Ingonish for 2-3 nights.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Judy:
From Wolfville to Pictou is two hours via the main highway (just to put in into perspective). That is with no stops.

Wolfville to Truro (about 1.5 hours). If they head up the Glooscap Trail, they will go in the opposite direction of Pictou. A non-stop drive to Parrsboro is probably about 45 minutes (give or take). If there a particular reason they want to travel up to that area?

The other option would be to travel to Wolfville from Lunenburg. If they want to see low tides they could do a trip out to Hall's Harbour and have a lobster dinner at the wharf. That would probably take them through to early afternoon. A slower drive would be to cross the Rawdon Hills (exit at Windsor) across to Shubenacadie and then via the highway to Pictou. They could easily do it in one day, but it would be a full day (depending on their age - how much they like to drive).

Do they have accommodations in Pictou for the night? There are several lovely B&B's and Inns as well as Pictou Lodge which is quite spectacular.

Old Aug 20th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Lunenburg to Pictou is one hell of a drive! most especially with stops along the way. How about a ight in between?
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 05:30 PM

Hi JudyC:

I REALLY feel guilty hijacking this thread, BUT I saw your recommendation of Hotel Dell'erba on a thread and I want to ask you a couple of questions. If I start a thread on Puglia will you please jump in to answer my question? Thank you!

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

To Tanya and Reeder, Many thanks again for the replies. The only reason my parents going up to Wolfville is to see the tide, if they drive from Wolfville to Truro, then to Pictou, will it be still a long drive? My mother isn't fond of copping in a car too long.

Yes, I have read about Tanya's suggestions about inns in Pictou, as soon the itinerary mapped out, I will start to book rooms.

To Pilates, I have enjoyed my visit to Puglia this past winter very much, if anything info I could help out, please feel free to ask. For my shame, I am afraid I spend much much more of my vacation in Europe than in Canada.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

To Tanya, one more question: You mentioned highway from Wolfville to Pictou, is it Route #215?
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 01:43 PM

Hi JudyC, Cool! I'm going to start a new thread. I'll call it, "Puglia recommendations needed".

There aren't many Fodorites who have travelled there so I'm sure you will be helping more than just me. Thanks again!
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:10 AM

The #101 from Wolfville to Bedford is the main highway - two way traffic for half and the other half is divided or twinned.

From Bedford to Pictou the main highway is the #102 and in Truro changes to the #104. All twinned so an easy drive.

From Wolfville, a longer drive you can turn off at Windsor and take the #14 - lot of farms, nothing spectacular and a slower drive on country roads. You come out at Shubenacadie on the twinned highway.

You Mom can see the low tides at Halls Harbour. Why not spend a night there? If she doesn't like driving too much, it would be a good second day. The third they could travel as far as Pictou or simply go on to Cheticamp (about 5-6 hours driving)

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

To Tanya, many thanks again for your detailed reply, most helpful.

BTW, could you suggestion any accommadation around Cheticamp?
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 12:07 AM

Judy:
Have never stayed around Cheticamp but I know there are other posts on this forum that have mentioned places in and around that area.

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Just wish to say "Thank You" to Tanya & Reeder, I have ended up being the guide and driver for my parents' Nova Scotia 11 days' trip, following your suggestions, we all have had grest time.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 10:24 PM

Judy:
You are most welcome! Any highlights of your trip you would like to share?