Photography in the Rockies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions for interesting photo ops or unusual perspectives to try? I know all the scenery is grand, but I'm trying to identify places that might not be on the typical list to photograph.

Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 02:43 PM

I cannot tell you which shot you will and will not get. Just have your camera ready so you can take advantage of serendipity. My husband has taken some photos of lakes (usually early in the morning) in which the reflection is so clear that it's impossible to tell which view of the photo is the right way up. Another glorious shot he got was just after a late afternoon / early evening rain shower in Jasper in August 2002. The clouds parted and the sun shone through onto some of the surrounding mountains giving them the most incredibly golden hue. I just cannot explain the photo that my husband took of that. You would have to see it to understand. And of course if you are lucky enough to see wildlife, that shot cannot be rehearsed either.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:49 PM
BAK

Thoughts --

Get up early, for sunrises.

Try to be outside at sunset.

Use a tripod just after sunselt, when the sky is still rich blue with some yellow and red and orange, and there's still some detail in the landscape.

If it is grey and dull, mountain shots won't look good, so dfon't waste film. BUT...

If the weather is bad, just get close to things on the ground. Puddles with reflections, flowers, rocks in a stream, etc.

The view differs coming and going, so remember to keep the camera handy on all aspects of a drive.

Many of the lookouts that are a hike off the parking lot are worth the walk.

BAK

Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 06:15 PM

To add to what was written in the previous posts -
. . . quite often if it is "overcast" in the mountains, what you see is not one monochromatic grey sky but layers of cloud, some of which hang around the peaks and can make incredible photos. If it is wet it is even better!!

As BAK mentioned, the best times of day are the times of "long shadows" i.e. morning and evening (or dawn and dusk).

For truly unique shots, you will have to hike into the back country (or have a unique "vision" in terms of photography), because even a quick walk around Banff and Jasper shops will reveal an incredible number of photographs of the usual mountain views (of different angles, different seasons, different times of day etc.)
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 07:26 AM

Go where other people don't at times they don't. Get up early in other words. One thing I wished I could have changed was the pictures that I have of Lake Louise. Due to other timing, we got there late AM and the lake was littered with canoes. Still a beautiful place but the pics would be better without the tourists.

Be sure to drive your vehicle off the beaten path. I have a tendency to turn off the highway onto interesting looking dirt/gravel roads. This has resulted in great pictures as long as I don't trespass.

Have fun!