Canadian Bacon in Windsor

Feb 5th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 237
Canadian Bacon in Windsor

Last spring I took my daughter and two of her friends to see a concert in Detroit. We stayed at the Omni Riverfront and could see Canada across the water. The girls got teh idea they wanted to have canadian bacon -- in Canada -- for breakfast. It sounded like a fun little side trip.

It wasn't. It had been a couple of years since I'd crossed an international border and, well, times have changed. We were stuck in no man's land for about a half hour while we received a very stern lecture from on e of your mounties, then another lecture when they finally let us back in the US side.

It's time to go to another concert and I'd like to try this again. I was so flustered the first time that I can't recall all the rules and regulations. does anyone know what I'll need to get myself, my daughter and three unrelated minors into Canada?

And, assuming they let us in this time, where's a good spot for breakfast?

edeevee is offline  
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 204
Why did you get lectured at each border? Usually you need a birth certificate or some other proof of citizenship to get into Canada. Each of the kids would need this too.
lolly is offline  
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 732
In these times of heightened security GET PASSPORTS! That is the surest way of passing through the Can/USA border without hassles.
atilla is offline  
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 615
Definately it's not quite as easy to cross the border since 9/11 but the vast majority of the difficulties are experianced with the US Inspectors so - as with the above posts - I can only assume you tried to cross with only drivers' license for yourself and even less for your daughters. Remember that you need proof of citizenship - not just residence - and if you were born in the states a birth certificate combined with picture ID is usually enough but nothing beats a passpoprt. If you wern't born in the states you need a citizenship or voter registration card but in that case for sure you should have a passport.

The unrelated minors will also need notarized letters from their parents authorising authorising you to take them across into Canada. Otherwise they could suspect that you're kidnapping them or something.

Finally - in Canada we call Canadian Bacon 'back bacon'.
GaryA is offline  
Feb 5th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,494
Gary is right that a birth certificate plus picture id for each of you should be enough. If you have passports, of course, bring those.
On the issue of crossing the border w/ minors who are not your children, you never know what will happen! It all depends on the guard & what he/she had for breakfast! Maybe you can ask about Canadain bacon! Anyway...I always get a note from the parents (both parents to sign & if one parent is deceased a death certificate). This does not have to be a "notarized" form. Sometimes I prepare a letter & ask the parents/guardian/s to sign it. Sometimes I simply ask them to give me one. The letter shd state:
1.That they are the parents or guardian/s of x
2.Their address
3.Their phone number
4.That x has permission to travel w/ you.
I've done this many, many times for border crossings by car or when flying. I have only been asked for my "Permission to Travel" letter once but I was glad I had it! I think that having the proper documentation helps you relax & when you are relaxed the border guards can "sense it". When you are nervous they seem to have the ability to sense that too! Enjoy your trip & your back bacon (which BTW Conon O'Brien says is not really bacon at all but "round pieces of fried ham"!!!) One more thing: If you think there may be a problem getting in touch w/ the parents/guardian/s in the unfortunate case that a medical emergency arises, you shd also have them consent to having you make emergency medical decisions for their minor child. Shouldn't be a problem in your case b/c you are only going Detroit/Windsor. Don't know how far you are from Detroit.
wow is offline  
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 237
Thank you all for your help.

Ahh, the whole lecture is coming back to me now. There was definitely some mention of kidnapping, along with some vigorous finger shaking and, finally, gifts of Welcome to Canada! pencils for my daughter and her friends ;^)

Now, where to eat once we get over there -- and what goes good with back bacon anyway?
edeevee is offline  
Feb 5th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,465
Back bacon (or "Canadian" bacon) is just bacon that is much leaner than ordinary bacon. It goes with anything that regular bacon goes with, such as eggs etc. You could also have it instead of ham with Eggs Benedict.
And if you want to try a British approach, have back bacon with fried tomatoes - yum!!
Borealis is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:55 PM.