PEI in the Fall of 2018.

Jul 24th, 2018, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

PEI in the Fall of 2018.

We are traveling to Prince Edward Island in September. Any advice on what airport to fly into and sight-seeing we should not miss in nearby New Brunswick and Cape Breton Island?
Jul 26th, 2018, 09:03 AM

Well it depends on what else you want to do in the area.

A family member flew into Moncton, NB several weeks ago and had no grumbles about the experience.

I would most recommend seeing Hopewell Cape, NB, which is 40-60 minutes away from Moncton.

That same family member flew home from Sydney, NS, because with that "Open Jaws" itinerary she could best optimize her time on the ground without backtracking.

Because so many air trips to the Maritimes connect through Toronto, it matters less just where you fly into, and where you fly out of (but for the cost of one-way car rentals) than is typically the case elsewhere.

Were it meeeeeeeeeeee... (and given what little you've said about your trip/plans), I think I would fly into Moncton, and then explore PEI from there (with whatever number of nights you want to allocate to PEI), before driving back to the mainland via the Confederation Bridge (with its $47.00 toll) ... and then to Hopewell Cape... and then drive toward Cape Breton via Parrsboro, Truro, etc.

I recently spent a night beside a lighthouse at Cape D'or, Nova Scotia, and it was my favorite discovery in the area. (it is run something along the lines of a bed and breakfast, but there is a quarter-mile hike down (and up) a semi-steep incline to get from the parking area to the lighthouse and nearby guest quarters)

Alternately, you could fly into Moncton first, and visit Hopewell Cape first, and then drive to PEI and take the ferry from the east end of the island to Pictou, NS. It still costs money to take the ferry, but you only pay the Confederation Bridge toll when leaving PEI so at least there's that...

While I probably haven't done PEI true justice, I would still suggest that most of the scenery in the Maritimes is elsewhere... so IF, say, I had 7 days for such a journey... I might spend the first night in Moncton, and then two on PEI... perhaps two more nights in Baddeck, NS... and another in either Cheticamp or Ingonish, with perhaps the last one in Sydney, ready to fly home from there.
Jul 27th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Great response! We appreciate it and will look forward to putting those hints into our itinerary. We're flying into Moncton in September and actually have two weeks to explore. We've been to NS a couple of years ago and made it to CBI but our day on the Cabot Trail was socked in. We did not make it over to PEI and don't know much about it, but love the scenic roads, lighthouses, beaches and quaint fishing villages. We do plan to go over the Confederation Bridge to PEI, spend a few days and then depart via Woods Island Ferry to Caribou and "try" to find a good day this time to see the Cabot Trail on CBI. We will put some time in for Hopewell, too! Thanks, again.
[
Jul 28th, 2018, 10:17 AM

LOL,

and people at Fodors wonder whyyyyyy I am forever suggesting a window of 2 or 3 days (on CB) to find one clear stretch of weather for the Cabot Trail.

(I learned the hard way... BUT I played it to near perfection this year - despite witnessing SNOW FLURRIES on June 3 in the hills not far from Inverness on the ‘extra’ day)
Jul 28th, 2018, 10:28 AM

... MY experience on PEI suggests it will make you wish you were seasoned bicyclists with a yearning for wide-open roads with gentle hills which are sparcely traveled.

The whole island is 175 miles tip-to-tip with the majority of that being VERY peaceful terrain.

But alas, few figure out how to optimize it as they tour the area making repeated references to the huge toll on the bridge.

Glad that you have 2 weeks, and that should allow your fill of PEI.

With some of that time, make the drive between Parrsboro and Truro along the bay... and IF you can talk yourselves into it, walk on the ocean floor at Burntcoat Head, NS at low tide.

Maybe the best single thing about the whole area is it not being ON THE WAY to anywhere else, so it isn’t overrun by society.

Search this Thread