Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay, and Lunenburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Halifax from 9am to 6 PM off of a cruise ship. Is that time enough to rent a car and visit Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay and Lunenburg? If so has anyone done this and has a route and time frame I would love to hear from you. Thanks to alll fodorites. You all have been so helpful.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 02:23 AM

That should be possible but will be hectic.Peggy's cove is usually very crowded and it's even difficult to take a decent picture.Mahone bay will take little time and there's a nice restaurant with terrace and view on the water so perfect for lunch.A couple of hours in Lunenburg will give you a good idea.If time allows it visit the museum.Paul
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 03:34 AM

I agree with tovarich, it IS possible if you're satisfied with a fleeting impression of each but will be hectic. I did something similar around 7 years ago: as a day trip out of Halifax with a friend driving, I saw Peggy's Cove late morning (this was 1/2 an hour, saw the lighthouse/rocks, snapped some photos then was back in car), had lunch in Chester (drove by Mahone Bay, saw the churches), strolled in Lunenburg mid-afternoon (snapped a few photos, walked around a bit) and was back in Halifax by later afternoon. This won't give you ANY time however to enjoy my actual favourite of the four you mention: Halifax.

Have fun whatever you decide! Daniel
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I posted on the cruise forum too, and everyone agrees with you. So we will definitely rent a car and head maybe to Lunenburg first and then to Peggy's Cove and back to Halifax. I have heard that there is sometimes a lot of morning fog, so maybe gong to Lunenburg first might be the thing to do. Any thoughts?
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 05:40 PM

I just did this route this morning. I already had a rental car so no need to spend time at the rental agency. Left Halifax at 9:00am, spent all the time I cared to spend at Peggy's Cove including wondering through the town, stopped by the Swissair memorial, drove to Mahone Bay, but it was very crowded because of the market. Then drove to Lunenburg, had lunch, spend all the time I cared to spend and back to Halifax by 3:30pm.
When coming from Halifax, you can speed up the trip by using route 103 instead of route 3. The route 333 through Peggy's Cove is a pretty drive, but after doing that, I had enough of driving curvy roads, so I did not mind taking 103 instead of the route 3.

From route 103, you can go to Lunenburg using exit 10 or exit 11. While exit 11 seems to gives you a direct shot to Lunenburg, using exit 10 does not add time but gives you a pretty view around the by as you drive around the cove.

It was not crowded at all at Peggy's Cove. There are two parking lots at Peggy's Cove and neither was more than 1/3 full. The guide books I use did not explain how to choose the parking lot. If you want to wonder through the town, the first parking lot at the Tourist Info office puts you in the middle of the town. From there, it is a 1/4 mile walk to the light house. The serious photographers all seemed to take this route. If your objective is strictly the light house area, the parking lot at the Sou Wester Restaurant puts you close to the light house. You can see both parking lots in google maps satellite mode.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Great info to know. I booked a car from Enterprise, the one on Hollis Street. I asssume I'll have to walk there. I was thnking it was very close. Do you know?
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 03:00 PM

As I recall, that Enterprise location is very close to the cruise ship docking area. Should be no trouble at all.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a alot.
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 03:47 AM

We were on this itinerary at end of May, it was not at all crowded. We love the landscape, the colored houses and had a very good lunch.
I hope you will have one-two hours for Halifax, it is a nice city and its Maritime museum (where you can learn about sinking of Titanic and about the big explosion of the ships with TNT in 1917).
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

I think we will have plenty of time. We will just grab a quick lunch someplace rather than having a leisurely one. That way we will definitely get back to Halifax mid afternoon. Thanks for posting.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 03:12 PM
LJ

Checking in from Lunenburg: this is not a foggy time of year here after 9am usually, so that shouldn't be an issue. Hollis street is close to docks so that will work. The market is only on in Mahone Bay on the weekend and otherwise it is getting quiet both in MB and in Lunenburg, though the tour buses can make it a little crowded mid-afternoons at both sites. Peggy's Cove is quiet after Sept. 15th so that should be fine.

In other words, you will have time for that leisurely lunch at Trattoria della Nonna in Lunenburg or the Sea Shanty Restaurant in Chester Basin (especially for chowder) or The Biscuit Eater or Joanne's in Mahone Bay for a more casual picnic-style lobster sandwich.

And the poster who suggeated nipping back and forth between the Lighthouse Route (old highway 3-330, 332 etc) and Highway 103 has it right. From downtown Lunenburg to dockside Halifax, mid-afternoon on Highway 103 will not take you more than 1 hour and 20-30 minutes.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Can't wait! Thanks.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 07:30 AM

Peggy's cove is definitely worth the trouble, it's beautiful.