COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Passport to travel by land?

Old Jul 10th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,541
Passport to travel by land?

Is the date June 1st, 2009 as of now? I'm finding conflicting info online.
amelie is offline  
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,541
This in regards to traveling from US to Canada and back, in case this is not clear.
amelie is offline  
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,019
This is what the Dept of State Website has to say.

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Securityís website.

U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (scheduled to be in full production beginning in July 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driverís license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.
bob_brown is offline  
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,019
PS here is the definition of WHTI compliant documents. I am NOT at all informed on the exact nature of an enhanced driver's license.

# WHTI-Compliant Travel Documents for U.S. citizen travel via land or sea, as of January 31, 2008:
* Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
* State Issued Enhanced Driverís License (when available)
* Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available)
* U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders
* U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business
* Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card
* Form I-872 American Indian Card

bob_brown is offline  
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,019
PPS I decided long ago that getting a regular passport was what I should do.

The passport cards are intended for land use. The card may not be used to travel by air, says the official web site.

The first time I presented my passport at a Canada to a US Border gate guard at a land crossing, I am not sure he knew what it was because he looked at it, looked at me, and then asked "What is your name?"

I have considered two other possibilities: (a)he was color blind and could not match my face to the picture and/or (b)he was dyslexic and had trouble reading my name. Bright fellow.

Someone else suggested that he had orders to ask everyone their name. A passport does not talk, not even these new ones with the magic chip.

Of course, the last name of Brown is difficult for some people.
bob_brown is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
United States
Oct 4th, 2011 02:52 PM
Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Aug 7th, 2008 09:32 AM
United States
Aug 17th, 2005 01:10 PM
United States
Nov 6th, 2004 05:04 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information