Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Part way through planning our June Canadian Rockies trip

Old Jan 1st, 2020, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

My wife and I are first timers to Canada from Australia. Were both looking to do as much hiking as weather permits, day hikes up to about 6 hours. Rain average is 16 days per month I believe, so wet weather gear will be constantly in the back packs.
Im a home movie editor with a smartphone stabilizer, my wife is a keen amateur still photographer. Lakes, mountains, birds and wildlife. Were expecting Heaven on a stick! Ha ha.Ive had some helpful advice from tomfuller re The Canadian, and so well be arriving in Jasper from Vancouver on June 10. Car hire was surprisingly inexpensive, even with a Calgary drop off, so Ive booked a car for a week and have also booked four days accommodation in Jasper.

The following three days will be spent near Lake Louise. Accommodation cost there is above our budget, but Jasper accommodation is very reasonable, and so the average for the week is less than $220 per night, with which Im comfortable.
Obviously we will be spending time over the coming months exploring which hikes we would like to do from both locations, allowing flexible options for the weather at the time.
After Lake Louise we will drive straight to Calgary and pick up an RV for the next 7 days of activity, totally unplanned at this stage.
Im liking the look of a Canadream DVC, enough room for the two of us, but still reasonably maneuverable, and able to be driven easily by my wife as well.

We will fly out to San Francisco on June 25th.
Any tips welcomed.
Im amazed and impressed how advice from the perspective of experienced travelers can improve trip planning.Thanks in advance.
Al.

Old Jan 1st, 2020, 09:41 PM

Are you spending some time in Vancouver before you board the Canadian? Stanley Park is a great place for hiking and photos.
You have the start of a good plan. While in the Jasper area you should visit Patricia Lake. During WWII it was the site of a top secret military project (Project Habbakuk) which was a plan on how to build aircraft carriers from a special type of ice with a big refrigeration system powered by the propulsion engine. The project was the brainchild of Sir Geoffrey Pyke. The ice was made with a substantial amount of sawdust with the water and then frozen. The theory was that an aircraft carrier made of Pykerete could survive strikes by several torpedoes.
Are you spending any time in California or just transferring to a plane back to Australia?
Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tom, unfortunately we're into Vancouver on the Monday and out on the Canadian on the Tuesday. However we purposely booked accommodation within walking distance of Stanley Park in the hope that we can spend a few hours there before heading to the station.
Interesting. I'll follow that up.
We're spending about a week in California, our son and daughter in law are working near Los Angeles for a couple of years and visiting them is part of the reason for our trip.
We haven't planned that section yet though.

Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 03:46 PM

While in Stanley Park get pictures of the totem poles and walk the sea wall around the perimeter. Also try to visit Gastown and see the steam clock and the statue of Gassy Jack.
Our son and DIL and grandchildren live in northern Los Angeles County so I can help with those plans if you wish. My son commutes from Castaic (sometimes carpools) out to Edwards AFB in the Mojave Desert.
Instead of flying out of SFO you should consider taking the Coast Starlight train from Emeryville south to Santa Barbara or on into Los Angeles.
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

Great, thank you for the tips, we'll look out for those.
I looked at the Starlight after your suggestion, looks great. However, we've taken the other option, hired a car and driving the Coast Road.
We'll stay two nights at Monterey and two nights at Cambria, with lots of hiking and camera action,(hopefully), from those two bases.
That brings us to L.A. and our son will take care of us from there.All very exciting.
Thank you.
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 03:06 PM

Are you driving from Calgary to LA with the RV?