Pacific Rim Nat'l Park - best hikes

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Tofino for a week in late May and would like to take a 3-6 hour hike in the Pacific Rim Nat'l Park. We are 40 years old, in decent shape, but not avid hikers. Are there any trails/hikes/walks in the area that are especially beautiful? It seems as though many of the hikes are super short or super long...

Also, any natural wonders and/or "must sees" in the Tofino area?

Thank you!

Allison
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:02 PM

Here's something I posted last year on this topic of favorite hikes:

My favorites are the 2 rainforest trails (but they were closed due to storm damage when we were there at Christmas--hopefully they will be reopened by the time you visit), and the walk from the Wickanninish Visitor Center to Florencia Beach (I think it's about 3 miles each way--you can drive to a trailhead that's closer to Florencia but I like to take the walk). I also really enjoy just walking on Long Beach (which is in the park) and Chesterman Beach (which isn't).

Also Tonquin Park just outside of the town of Tofino is cool to visit--not really much of a hike but it's a cool little "hidden" beach.

-----------

As far as natural wonders and must sees, the hot springs north of Tofino (reached by boat or float plane) are pretty cool--and you have to go see the huge trees on Meares Island (take a 1/2 day kayak trip there).

Old May 8th, 2008, 08:12 AM

The rainforest trails were open when I was there in late February. They were by far my favourite part - I walked the same trails twice on different days!
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:07 PM

Have visited Tofino twice, and both times my favorite hike was through the rain forest to Schooner Cove where you can walk as far as you want before turning around.
Old May 11th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Deaz NWWanderer, Carmanah and Clousie,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your input. I think we will do ALL those walks/hikes that you suggested!

Many thanks for the info!

Allison