Ottawa vs Quebec City

Search

Ottawa vs Quebec City

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ottawa vs Quebec City

If I decide to make a side trip to one of the above cities after spending a few days in Montreal in mid-August, which would be the better choice? (Adult travel, no kids). I would likely spend only ONE FULL DAY in either city. Otherwise, if there's an alternative destination, other than these two that warrants consideration, tell me where to go. All informed opinions welcomed and be feel free to be critical. Thanks in advance!!
Old May 29th, 2003, 07:43 PM
BAK

In simplified terms, Quebec City is an enlarged version of Old Montreal. Stone buildings, nice parks, an old fort, really good restaurnts, some nice souvenir shops, and a hotel that looks like a castle.

French is far and away the main language, but for a day, you'd be fine if you did not speak this language, because you'd probably stay in the tourist areas where English is spoken and understood.

Ottawa too has a hotel that looks like a castle, it's harder to find really good restaurants buy you can find enough for one day, Ottawa has nice parks, too but is minus the fort.

But Ottawa is the nation's capital, which carries some value, and it has a wider assortment of museums and art galleries than does Quebec City.

If I had already been in Monteal and visited Old Montreal, I'd pick Ottawa, and I'd spend the day walking, visiting the Parliament Buildings, some art stores, the National Gallery (fine art) and the Museum of Comptemprary Photography. And I'd pick the War Museum, or the Museum of Civilization in Hull, a short taxi ride away, if I had more time.

You might substitute the Aviation Museum, or choose a tour of the Royal Mint.

BAK
Old May 30th, 2003, 02:28 PM

Hi nspoors

While Ottawa has it charms for sure that I do appreciate, I think that Quebec City (for me) wins hands down. Any characterization of Quebec as being an oversized Old Montreal rings totally false to me; I've lived in Montreal for approximately 6 years and visited Quebec about 7 times and Ottawa twice.

Quebec has a character that is simply itself. While Old Montreal is a fantastic, preserved part of the city that evokes another era; the narrow, sloping streets, architecture emanating from New France (different from that in Montreal) pervade Quebec. Quebec's a smaller town than Montreal, has a different accent and a more laid-back feel than Montreal (strangers more likely to say bonjour). I would argue that the two cities are significantly culturally different as well.

Other condiserations: Quebec's been around since the early 1600s, while Ottawa's been around since the mid-1800s; these are reflected in the look of the two respective cities. Quebec despite its smaller size I've found has a *much* more dynamic nightlife and vibrant streetscene than Ottawa as well. I find the views of the Saint Lawrence River from the Place Dufferin, the Plains of Abraham in Quebec or Sillery have an incredible beauty that you won't find of the river from Old Montreal. While the view of the Outaouais River in Ottawa is lovely, it doesn't impress me as much as the view of the Saint Lawrence from Quebec.

Ottawa's quiet and less touristed though may appeal to you. The views of the Ottawa River as I mentioned are quite lovely and if you have an interest in Canadian government and history, you may wish to go there instead.

I'm sure you'll have fun whatever you decide. DAN
Old May 30th, 2003, 05:09 PM

Great posts with a lot of insight here. I prefer Ottawa's less-touristed ambiance and I also think you may find it a better value in terms of hotels and dining. That said, I'm not sure that it matters with a one-day excursion. Both cities are great places to walk. Quebec City is not overrated, but I consider Ottawa to be highly underrated as a destination. The dining rap is real by comparison to Quebec City. I would suggest checking out the Byward Market area for some decent choices and it's a bustling, interesting area during the day. I enjoyed Quebec City, but I feel "more at home" in Ottawa for reasons that I can't really explain.
Old May 31st, 2003, 08:24 PM

Hi:

Have lived in Ottawa & spent some time in Quebec City ...

Ottawa is quaint withe a few pockets of places to visit & the occasional special event ...

Quebec City lives & breathes history & culture ...

Since you said you only have one full day in either city then -
- after 1 day in Ottawa you'll feel like "you've seen it all" (or at least seen enough)
- after 1 day in Quebec City you'll be exausted, just scratched the surface & be fustrated that you don't have more time

Just my opinion though ...

Z
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 05:33 PM
gdm

I agree with Daniel above. I lived for many years in Montreal, and now live in Quebec City. I've visited Ottawa on numerous occasions, like the city, and have close friends who live there. That being said, and with all due respect, Quebec City wins hands down.
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 07:45 PM

Over the past year I have made 3 trips to Eastern Canada - Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa. For one day, either will be enjoyable. Having said that you probably want to know which is BETTER. I agree w/ "Flyboy" that while Quebec City is not overrated, Ottawa is underrated. I was there for a weekend last July and did the Parliament tour, walked over the bridge to the Musee de Civilization (fantastic), biked on great incredible bike paths along the water, explored Byward Market, went to the National Gallery. Lots to do both indoors and outdoors. Yes less restaurants than the other cities but for one day, that doesn't matter. Have fun whichever you choose!