Reload this Page >

Ottawa hotel suggestions needed for Mom and 2 kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Pat

My husband won't be able to take a vacation with us this summer due to a hot project at work, so it'll be just myself and the 2 kids(ages 12 and 15). I'm looking for hotel suggestions for something centrally located, with a pool, for about $100 - $150 US. We'll be driving, so we'll need parking. I've never been to Ottawa, so any suggestions about good areas to stay in and must sees for kids of this age would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Dan

My highest recommendation would be for the Delta hotel and Suites. This is a great hotel, especially if you have children because there is a huge pool with a waterslide and a game room where the kids can play video games for free. The rooms also tend to be much larger than in other hotels and the prices here are relatively quite good. The website is www.deltahotels.com.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:48 PM
rita

Pat,<BR><BR>I took my two nieces (ages 11 and 13) to Ottawa last summer and we had a blast. There is so much to see and do. We stayed at the Chateau Laurier right in the middle of all the action (we walked everywhere) for $140 CDN. We were upgraded to the club floor and received breakfast at no additional charge. There is a pool at the hotel. Our stay was three days and we wished it was longer. Your children are a similar age so here is a list of our trip highlights.<BR><BR>- amphibian bus tour (so that you get the lay of the land)<BR>- buying hats and then going for high tea at the Chateau Laurier<BR>- wandering around the hotel and "looking for ghosts"<BR>- centre block tour at the Parliment Buildings<BR>- audio headset tour of the National Gallery (the girls liked having the audio and I liked looking without all the "what is that?" questions)<BR>- Aviation Museum<BR>- Museum of Civilization across the river in Hull<BR>- renting bikes and cycling the Rideau Canal<BR>- Changing of the Guard on Parliment Hill<BR>- Canadian Mint Museum<BR>- Military Museum<BR>- shopping and eating in Byward (sp?) market<BR><BR>Enjoy, Ottawa it is a great town.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 12:02 AM
Pam

Rita & Pat<BR><BR>Bytown Market, not Byward. Just FYI. ;-)

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 05:08 AM
ron

Sorry, Pam but it is the By Ward Market; By as in Colonel John By, founder of Ottawa and Ward as in electoral district.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Curious

Interesting historical fact re: By Ward. Can anyone tell me where Bytown is located? Vancouver?

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:35 AM
ron

Bytown was the name for Ottawa from the time John By showed up to start building the canal ca.1827 until it was changed to Ottawa, as a more fittng name for a capital of a new country. Thats why the confusion above. Rita was spelling By Ward as it is generally pronounced these days, as one word.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Pam

Thanks, Ron. You are perfectly right. Sorry, Rita. I got it mixed up with a cinema called Bytown, also in Ottawa and not far from the Byward market.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I love rita's list and yes, you will have a great time in Ottawa. We've visited several times and I think it is a wonderful, very undersold destination. As for hotels, another possibility would be the Crowne Plaza, which is in convenient walking distance to a lot of the major site (though Chateau Laurier is the UNBEATABLE location in Ottawa, I would concede). The Crowne Plaza offers an indoor pool and you can sometimes pick up a nice package deal that includes the breakfast buffet in the price range you were looking at -- but book early to get the best shot at the best rates.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:49 PM
J Chusing

It really doesn't mattter where you stay in "downtown" Ottawa as you are only a 15 minute walk from almost all of the sites and attractions. I lived there for 12 years and can't wait to move back. <BR> As long as you don't stay in Vanier, you have nothing to worry about. <BR> If you golf, there are some great courses within a 30 minute drive. Enjoy!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:54 PM
J Chusing

By the By. It is refered to as "The Market", by those that live there, so everything else is just semantics. <BR>P.S. Don't forget to visit Hull as it is a great party place.