Reload this Page >

Advice from Vancouver locals please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Sue

Have narrowed down B&B choices to two locations - Kitsilano and near City Hall. Since we are unfamiliar with area, would greatly appreciate any advice regarding convenience, proximity to tourist areas, safety, etc. We will be travelling with teenage kids. We will have a rental car but would prefer using public transportation if available to avoid parking hassle. THANKS!!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Robyn

Kitsilano, definitely.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Robyn

Of course, right after I posted that, I felt I should elaborate.<BR><BR>There's nothing wrong with either neighbourhood. I had friends living near Vancouver's city hall for the longest time. It's a safe place with decent buildings and some really cute character homes with gorgeous trees and gardens... *however* Kitsilano is probably the better place if you're a visitor, especially since the neighbourhood's one that seems to define Vancouver - especially in the summer. <BR><BR>The city hall neighbourhood is landlocked and the majority of it's residential. You'd be a bit far to walk to any attractions. <BR><BR>Kitsilano ("Kits") on the other hand is on English Bay, overlooking the mountains and the city skyline. It's just across the Burrard Street bridge from downtown Vancouver and it's a short drive (or water taxi) to Granville Island. You have Kits Beach and the trendy cafes/restaurants in the neighbourhood, plenty of opportunities for swimming, rollerblading or beach volleyball. West 4th Ave has tons of restaurants and boutiques. Further west is UBC's campus (Museum of Anthropology, Pacific Spirit Park), and Jericho Beach. Vanier Park is also in Kits, with the Space Center (planetarium) and the Vancouver Museum on the grounds. In the summer the Shakespeare festival "Bard on the Beach" happens at Vanier park, which is always enjoyable if you're into that.<BR><BR>Which B&B's are you staying at and what are their addresses? That might give others a bit more info to help you with the exact part of the neighbourhood you're staying in.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 07:24 PM
janett

Kitsilano for sure...agree with everything the above poster said

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 08:03 PM
G Mitchell

If you have a car, it doesn't really matter which area you stay in as anything on the westside of Vancouver is very convenient to most of the major attractions. If you don't want to use your car, you might want to give us the addresses of the places you are staying. Kits tends to be linear in an east west direction so you could be a fair ways west of many of the attractions, depending on where you were staying. The "city hall area tends to be a little more compact -- if you were within a few blocks of Cambie Street, public transportation would be fairly easy.<BR><BR>Both areas are safe. Kits, especially around Yew street can be noisy in the summer as there are some resturants, sports bars and clubs on Yew between Cornwall Ave and 3rd.<BR><BR>Be careful with your B&B selection as there are quite a few uninspected B&B's operating in both areas.<BR><BR>cheers<BR>G Mitchell<BR>Arbutus House B&B, Vancouver<BR>www.arbutushouse.com

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 08:54 PM
Sue

I really appreciate all the great information. I am somewhat limited with selections because I need something that will accomodate 2 adults + 3 kids. Have looked at penthouse and self contained suites. Possibilities include Manor Guest House and Douglas House near City Hall on West 13th. Considering Kitsilano Cottage as well. Another possibility I think is in Kits area but am not sure is Dandelion Family Suite (address is 2515 W 14th). Any personal knowledge about these B&B's or area they are in?

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Gus Mitchell

Dandelion Suites is in a nice residential area in the upper kits area. You would have a few blocks walk to the bus at either Broadway ( north ), MacDonald( West) or Arbutus Street(east)<BR><BR>Camilla House&lt;www.vancouver-bb.com&gt; is right behind on west 13th<BR><BR>A suite at Kits cottage is quite a bit farther west( near Alma St ) but is serviced by bus lines on 4th ave.<BR><BR>I'll stay silent on the city hall selections.<BR><BR>Take a look at www.wcbbia.com. It is the website for the Western Canada B&B Innkeepers Association and although there is a great variety of B&B's on the site, they all are inspected which gives you a little assurance as to quality and service.<BR><BR>cheers

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Sue

Thanks so much for the advice. Just booked Dandelion Suites; really looking forard to seeing Vancouver!!