Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Only one day in Victoria--a nice Sunday meal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 12:34 PM
kam

We will only have one day to do a day trip via the Clipper to Victoria from Seattle. It's on a Sunday and we plan to walk around the harbor, see the museum and then have a nice lunch/brunch. Any particularly good recommendations? Should we instead plan tea at the Empress? Won't have a car to go out of the downtown area. Thanks.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 07:51 PM
April

I wouldn't bother with tea at the Empress unless you really want the experience. Walk through the place anyway just to see it. I hear the brunch (not to be confused with buffet) at Ocean Pointe is good but I've never been. I believe it is around $23 as compared to over $30 for the Empress tea. Laurel Point probably has something similar. <BR> <BR>I think Victoria is lacking good restaurants. I don't mind Swans for lunch, which is on lower Pandora near the train station. Some people like the Spaghetti Factory near the museum but I didn't think it was anything special. <BR> <BR>Anyone else?

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 08:04 PM
Margot

Hi Kam, <BR>Don't bother with the Swans or the Spaghetti Factory- both are mediocre at the best of times. My favorite spots are Il Terrazzo for Italian and the Oak Bay Beach hotel for views and great food. Il Terrazzo is downtown off Wharf Street and Johnson in Waddington Alley. They have a beautiful little outside courtyard and excellent food. You'd have to cab or bus to the Oak Bay Beach, but you have a beautiful ride on the way and it's only about 10 minutes max from the inner harbor. They have an excellent brunch on Sunday, but you might need a reservation. I agree with the other posting about the Empress tea - it's a neat thing to do once, but very expensive. Take a walk around the hotel instead and even eat in the cafe in the basement there instead -they also have good food and a buffet at a much more reasonable price than the tea. I have also had brunch at the Ocean Pointe a few years ago and it was excellent, but I haven't been there for a while so can't say if it continues to be good. Hope this helped!

Old Jun 11th, 2000, 03:06 PM
d.s.

We've never been disappointed with Milestones Restaurant. The service is great! It's right under the tourist information centre at the north end of the innerharbour. IF you plan to be walking around it's convenient and you get a great view. <BR>Prices are reasonable and the serving portions are huge! Try the belini's - a great drink that tastes great on a hot day!

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 10:04 PM
April

Margot has a point. I had lunch at Swans recently and couldn't find anything on the menu that appealed to me.