ONLY A FEW DAYS!

Aug 4th, 1999, 10:39 PM
Irene

ONLY A FEW DAYS!

We are driving up from Boston mid-Sept., but only have a week. We want to visit Halifax, Cape Breton and PEI. Do we have enough time. Should we stay in one place and drive to the other areas. We want lots of lobster, beauti- ful scenery, local flavor. Also is it better to ferry over or drive? Hope you can help us.

Aug 6th, 1999, 04:04 PM
Jim

For speed or if Halifax is a must and cost isn't an object, take the ferry. Better yet, check if there is a special price on the one-way return ferry. We drive this route every year. A very long day will get you to or past Calais, Maine. The second day across NB is pleasant. You should get to or over the PEI bridge that day. After a day on the island, take the PEI to Nova Scotia ferry. When you reach the mainland you can get to the Cape Breton Trail in a few hours. Plan to take the Trail clockwise. Cheticamp is a great and colorful spot for the night. The next day take the Trail. Stop at McDonald's for good food and color. A few miles after that take the turn-off to WhitePoint, a beautiful little village. If you park on the dirt road past the harbor, you can walk the most beautiful headlands in North America. Continue on to Neil's Harbor and you're back on the trail. Spend the night in Ingonish. We like the Driftwood Lodge. The next day you can drive to Halifax and then on to Yarmouth and home. OR Ferry to Yarmouth to Halifax to PEI ferry, back to NovaScotia, Breton Trail, back to Halifax, Yarmouth. You stay in Truro and do PEI in a day and then Cape Breton in a day, but you'll lose a lot.

Aug 10th, 1999, 08:10 AM
lisa

Irene: I did a very similar trip in late August-early Sept. of 1997. We had 10 days I think counting the two weekends that sandwiched the week we took off). I will tell you our itinerary (which was perfect for us) and a few standout places that I would definitely recommend: Day 1 flew into Boston and drove to Boothbay Harbor, Maine, where we stayed at the Lawnmeer Inn (www.lawnmeerinn.com) which was beautiful with a wonderful quiet waterfront setting away from the town, and a great dining room right on the water. Day 2 drove from Boothbay Harbor to Bar Harbor and explored Acadia National Park (gorgeous! -- don't miss Mt. Cadillac at sunset if you can help it). Day 3 took the ferry from Bar Harbor to Nova Scotia and drove to Halifax and stayed at a FANTASTIC place called the Waverley Inn (www.waverleyinn.com), only a couple of blocks from the waterfront and walking distance to everything in town. Day 4 explored Halifax -- don't miss the public gardens -- and ate dinner at an excellent restaurant on the water that I think was called Salty's (the seafood pie and garlic mashed potatoes were to die for) and stayed a second night at the Waverley Inn. Day 5 drove to Truro and hiked Truro falls, then drove to the ferry and ferried over to PEI where we stayed in Charlottetown. Day 6 day-tripped to all the "Anne of Green Gables" sights and stayed in Charlottetown again (at a guest house that I wouldn't recommend. Day 7 explored the rest of PEI and stayed in Charlottetown and ate dinner on the waterfront which was lovely -- don't miss the fantastic local Malpeque oysters! Day 8 left PEI, drove over the bridge to New Brunswick and stayed in St. John that night. Day 9 drove through Maine and stayed in Camden which is beautiful and has some good restaurants and shopping (there is a fantastic lobster pound a few miles north of Camden that is a don't miss). Day 10 drove from Camden back to Boston for our flight home. The only disadvantage of this trip was that we didn't have time for Cape Breton which we really wanted to do, but that will save for another time. The Frommer's New England book and the Frommer's Nova Scotia-New Brunswick-PEI book were very helpful in planning our trip and I would definitely recommend getting them.

Aug 10th, 1999, 08:34 AM
mwg

With driving time, etc., you will have very little time to do PEI. Previous poster did it in 2 days but I think this is hardly enough to appreciate it. Why not stay in Nova Scotia? In addition to sights previously mentioned, you could see fortress of Lousibourg, a great Parks Canda historical resoration, Fisheries of the Atlantic Museum in Lunenburg, Peggy's cove, Alexander Graham Bell Historic Sight. There's plenty to see in Nova Scotia for 1 week. I love PEI but its a subtle place and needs to be seen at a more leisurely pace.

Aug 11th, 1999, 07:47 AM
lisa

Actually, I felt that three nights in PEI was enough for me. I loved the island and wouldn't have minded having another night or two, but didn't feel like I was missing a whole lot by not staying longer. My favorite thing about the island was the beautiful bucolic scenery, especially the unusual black and white churches that were everywhere, against the blue of the sea and the green and gold fields and the red soil. Gorgeous! I'd like to go back and spend a week just photographing the churches.

I do agree, however, that Nova Scotia merits more time and we did wish we had had more than 2 nights. If we'd had even just another 2 nights to spend we could have seen Cape Breton which I really wanted to do, but there just wasn't enough time for everything given the distances we were covering. And we were glad we spent three nights in Maine because we loved that as well.

Sep 6th, 1999, 10:18 PM
Jim Krall

I don't know if my message went through to you. If you didn't get one reur drive from Charlottetown to Cheticamp please let me know. Otherwise thanks for your response. (^o^) Irene