Only 1-2 days for Banff/Jasper

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family is coming to Canada this summer for the Calgary Stampede. We're spending 3 days in Calgary. We were then planning on the Banff area. I know there is so much to do there but we'll only have about 1 1/2 days there because my daughter wants to stay in a guest ranch for 2 nights. From all the guidebooks, the Icefields Parkway and Columbia Icefield looks really great. I made a hotel reservation in Canmore to use our hotel points. Is going to the Columbia Icefield worth our only day or so in the area? I've read lots of the postings on this site but most visitors are planning longer stays than us. Thanks for any info...
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:42 AM

In one day you cannot see everything there is to be seen between Canmore and the Columbia Icefields. You will not have time to drive to Jasper and back unless you want to put in a very long day and not stop for much. <BR><BR>I suggest you visit Lake Louise and Moraine Lake. If time is left, drive up the Icefields Parkway as far as Peyto Lake and Bow Lake. <BR><BR>You need several days, but I think it is safe to say that you will not run out of things to do. <BR><BR>Unfortunately, you may not have time to drive over Kicking Horse Pass into Yoho National Park and view Takkakaw Falls.<BR>It is about 20 miles from Lake Louise.<BR>
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bob. We actually have Sunday late afternoon until mid morning on Tuesday. Since it gets dark late, I'm hoping we can see lots of the scenery in early evening. If I had to choose between the Icefields Parkway and the Columbia Icefield, which would you choose? My daughter saw a picture of the vehicle which takes you to the Icefield and thought it was cool....
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:51 PM
ltt

there is plenty of wonderful things to see and do in the banff - lake louise area. why not just stick to that and save the parkway for a trip with 4-5 days so you can enjoy it.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 08:04 PM

You will drive a portion of the Icefields Parkway when traveling from Banff to the Columbia Icefields.
I think if you are prepared for a long day, you can drive from Banff to the Icefields Center and return. You would even have time for a hike or two of short length. I suggest you take the walk to Peyto Lake overlook. It is pretty.
You can stop and view a good bit of scenery without going too far from your car.
I think you will have a great day of viewing. So if a 16 hour day is ok with you, then have a go at it. If the day is nice, you will never forget it.

I was there last summer, and several summers previously, and I will be back this summer. So you can get an idea of how much I like those mountains.

If I may put in an editorial aside.
I think one day at the cow festival is enough; you should put in the rest of your time in the mountains.
I was in Calgary during the cow festival last year and enjoyed not seeing any of it.

Old Apr 28th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Bob. We're just going to the rodeo on one day and the chuckwagon races the next night. I'm torn about what I had planned for Sunday. I bought tickets for the horse show at Spruce Meadows but may decide to just head up to the &quot;mountains&quot; instead.... I really appreciate all your input.
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 09:19 PM

I would only spend 1 night in Calgary and then head down to Banff for a night,then take the Icefields Parway, stop at Columbia Icefield and then go to Jasper for at least 1 night...It is an absolutely beautiful drive that shouln't be missed..Calgary is just a city, it is nice but the mountain scenery is much nicer!!
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tracy...
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:39 PM

Depends on how much you like to drive. I would not go all the way to Jasper, but if you really want to see the Columbia Icefields, just drive that far, it's still quite a distance. it is something you need to do at least once. We go to this area every 2 years, and never run out of things to do. Lake Louise is our absolute favorite.
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Rachel. We'll probably do as you suggested. I'm just concerned about the drive from Canmore to the Icefields and back one day and then going to Lake Louise the next day. I have hotel points for free lodging at the Sheraton 4 points in Canmore which I should do rather than pay for lodging up by Lake Louise.... Susan
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

OOps! I just found out that the guest ranch that my family is staying in after our Banff/Lake Louise experience is just outside of Canmore, The Rafter 6. So, staying at the Sheraton 4 Points doesn't make sense if it's only 15 minutes away from the guest ranch. I've seen the other postings for hotels near Lake Louise. Are there cheaper places to stay than the main ones mentioned in all the postings? Susan
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:16 PM

There are lots of inexpensive places to stay in Banff; however, in Lake Louise, you are definitely more limited. We always stay at Chateau Lake Louise because I have a meeting that I go to there. Post Hotel is going to be just as expensive. I have seen some smaller properties that are probably less expensive, but the problem is that, if you don't already have reservations now, they may be full. This is a very popular area with limited number of rooms. If I were you, I would find a place in Banff. It is a great town to explore with a lot of neat shops and restaurants in all price ranges and it only takes about 30 min to get to Lake Louise. In Banff you feel like you are really in the mountains and in the heart of things.
Old May 9th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks....