Reload this Page >

On probation...problem to visit Canada?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Mabel

My son and I take a trip to British Columbia every 6 months or so for some days and are planning on going again next week. A neighbor told me something today though that has me concerned for our trip which I so look forward to. My son is on probation now for 2 years some very minor misdemeanor and my neighbor said he won't be allowed into Canada now! Is this true? How can that be if so as this is something minor and he never has been in jail? How can they know if he's on probation? I don't recall them checking our passports in any computer or whatever the other times we have been there. Do they ask.....and if so what if he says no? What do they ask? If they ask if he's been convicted of a crime he hasn't as it was a plea bargain and he admitted guilt, he wasn't convicted. If they ask and he admits he's on probation then what happens? Might they make us get back on the ferry and return to the USA? We drive cross the border or sometimes take a ferry. These trips mean so much to me and I can't go without my son. Does anyone know anything here about this subject?

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 03:45 PM
traveller

Why don't you check this out with Canadian immigration? That would be the best bet. It is as easy as a phone call.<BR><BR>Two years seems like a long time for a "minor misdemeanor" but you haven't stated what he did. Immigration could tell you if he will be able to cross or if you will experience a problem. They may not ask and don't volunteer but if they do ask, DON'T LIE. <BR><BR>Admitting guilt is the same as a conviction BTW. <BR><BR>Be on the safe side and check before you travel. <BR><BR>The USA has forced Canada to tighten up the borders since 9/11 for everyone. It is possible you could be turned back. Very unlikely, but possible.<BR><BR>After all, the USA wouldn't allow Ross Robatile into the USA for the Olympics based on his positive drug (marijuana) tests at the last Olympics, even though he was never charged or convicted. The border is a lot tighter now.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Sherry

On the other side of the coin, last summer driving across the border INTO the states, we were asked if we had ever been "charged" with an offence. Not convicted......the question was...charged. Asked by the American Immigration officer at a sleepy border town crossing in Maine. Seems to me you just may have a problem. As to how do they know he is on probation? If they ask for ID of any sort, it will be in the computer. Just as someone with an old criminal conviction cant enter the states. People I know, charged with a marijuana infraction back in the 70's, have been turned back from the border. If they dont ask or check ID you are ok, but if they ask...well....I think you are going to be turned away.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:02 PM
rand

Just for the hell of it, I would check to see if the terms of his probation allow 'international' travel. Imagine the surprise on returning to the USA to be arrested for parole violations and forced to serve the remainder of the term behind bars.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Marilyn Rice Davies

You don't even need to be charged with a crime. Canadian author Farley Mowatt was barred from coming into the U.S.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Melissa

Even before 9/11 the border into Canada has always been tougher than the border into US. Don't forget it was a US customs officer who allowed the terrorists into Maine, not Canadian officials.....<BR><BR>That being said, I have a friend who is a Canadian, and went to the US no problem, but on thier way back into Canada, they were pulled in for a periodic search (they pull over cars at random to check them and the drivers out) They ran thier licence and found out that when my friend was 18 they were charged by a store for stealing a item worth $10.00 and the store charged them just to teach them a lesson. My friend had a really hard time getting back into the country because they had had a previous criminal offence.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:32 AM
SheriffTaylor

Just have him ask his probation officer. He has to check in periodically doesn't he. (If he is not he has bigger problems than trying to go to Canada). The probation officer will know all the terms and conditions of probation, as should your son, and will advise accordingly. If in fact it is just a vacation and he has kept a clean record and met all other terms of his probation, it should not be a problem.