Okanagan - wine, food, general info

Old May 19th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okanagan - wine, food, general info

Hi..staying for one week at Manteo Resort starting Sept. 13. Never been before. Would like any tips on good car rental (pick up and drop off at the airport), reasonable restaurants, good and/or fun wineries, etc. etc. How much generally is the wine tasting? Any good routes you would recommend? Any info would be happily received! Thx.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

anyone?
Old May 24th, 2008, 09:48 AM

Are you flying into Vancouver or Kelowna airport?

I've stayed a few doors down from the Manteo and it's a great area in Kelowna.

I usually stay in the south OK Valley, and I've visited Burrowing Owls, which was a gorgeous estate and great wine.

Take a look at this website for areas and vineyards in each to visit: www.wildflowersandwine.com/winery-tours.htm
Old May 24th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks..we're flying into Kelowna. Any restaurants you could recommend?
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:47 PM

Can't help you with car rentals as I always have my own, but I'd simply google Kelowna Airport and compare the rental car companies' quotes.

I had a fabulous lunch at the Burrowing Owl vineyard. Check out its website as I think it's open for dinner as well. I remember it was voted best restaurant in the southern OK Valley, I think in 2006. And you might want to consider breaking up your week by spending half at the Manteo and half in southern Okanagan Valley. I saw the Burrowing Owl suites just before completion and they looked stupendous.

I'm generally with kids and looking for mid-range, kid-friendly menus. I remember going to a Mexican place not too far from the Manteo area, and it was good and inexpensive. The Manteo should be able to give you a good list.

Right near or at the Manteo's dock you can arrange for a speed boat to take you out tubing on the lake. Another mom and I and a bunch of kids did it, and it was a blast.

You might want to consider floating down the canal in Penticton. I think doing the half canal is just fine; you can rent tubes at the departure point.

Have a great
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:48 PM

... time!

Cheers,
Linda
Old May 24th, 2008, 06:23 PM

Hi Canuckgal,

I live in Kelowna and can offer you some advice. Yes you can pick up and drop off rental car at the airport. No problems there.

The Manteo Resort is located on Lakeshore Drive. When you drive along Lakeshore you will come across numerous restaurants. Most are reasonable and offer great menus. When you drive along Highway 97 to get to your hotel, you'll pass Joey's Restaurant. This is a very popular restaurant for the locals with great food and ambience. As you drive through the city, you'll see you have many, many options. Enjoy!

The wineries closest to you are Summerhill (known also as Pyramid Winery), Cedar Creek and St Hubertus. Summerhill is an organic vineyard and on the tour you can go into the Pyramid where they store wine. They have a great restaurant where you can sit on the patio overlooking the lake. September is still quite warm here and the patio should still be open.

On the other side of the bridge on the Westside is the Mission Hill Winery. This is a very prestigious and beautifully located vineyard. Take the tour and upgrade if it's in the budget to the in depth tour. You'll get tastings paired with great food down in the cellar. It's quite the experience. Another great winery is Quail's Gate near Mission Hill.

You can pick up a city guide with a map showing all the wineries and activities in Kelowna at most gas stations, coffee shops and stores. I highly suggest picking this up.I'm sure they have these at the airport.

Do you have children coming on this trip? If so, I can give you some tips on what to with them.

You'll love Kelowna and what it has to offer. Have fun!