NS-5 day itinerary?

Apr 26th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

NS-5 day itinerary?

We're going to Nova Scotia for our honeymoon in July. So far, we've planned to fly in and out of Halifax, so we'll spend the first and last few days there to see the city. We're interested in seeing another part of NS and we have 2 nights we can stay away from NS, but we don't want to spend the whole time driving. What's the best recommendation? Do we have time to go to Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay, and Lunenburg (overnight); then head over to Anapolis Royal, Digby, Bay of Fundy (overnight in Anapolis Royal)? Or is it best to spend 2 nights in Lunenburg area?
Apr 26th, 2005, 09:32 PM

Hi!

I think Nova Scotia is an excellent place for your honeymoon!

Peggy's Cove should be a "day trip" from Halifax, perhaps for a fairly romantic lunch or dinner while generally staying IN Halifax. (eat at the place next to the lighthouse in Peggy's Cove)

Thinking of 2 nights to stay away from Halifax. Since it is a honeymoon, shouldn't you pick one spot with 2 consecutive nights, when taking your break from Halifax?

People speak highly of Anapolis Royal, so I'd definitely rate it a possibility for your two nights.

The far northern Cape Breton is beautiful when it isn't foggy, but that would require a good deal of driving round trip, and it seems a bit too much for your scenario.

I will say this... if you are traveling over to Anapolis Royal during the middle of your trip, be sure to time your departure from Halifax so that you can go somewhere to a beach in the "Minas Basin" at absolute LOW TIDE. You'll be stunned at how far out in the surf/sand you can walk!

When I go to NS I spend far more time being awed by the tides, but in your case I can see making an exception.

In case you're into a 5-hour round trip HIKE... "Cape Split" (near Scott's Bay, NS) is an enjoyable walk through nature, which puts you at the very end of a cape, in the middle of the Minas Channel, with the highest tides in the world roaring all around you.

They say that the amount of water that goes through the small area between Scott's Bay and Parrsboro in a given day is equivalent to the flow of ALL of the rivers on earth put together in a given day.

I say that you're going to need to use your instincts to choose the best away-from-Halifax spot for yourselves, and a 2-day stay in one place makes so much sense in your case.

Many eligible cities/towns are around, including:

Anapolis Royal
Lunenburg
Pictou

(may as well mention here that Halifax to Sydney is "only" 200 miles, if anything up that way really draws your interest)

Halifax - Truro = 65 miles

(not that Truro itself is a destination, that is just for time guesstimates)

Too many of my trips to the most scenic areas of NS were hampered by FOG or by gloomy weather. Peggy's Cove is kind of exciting in the rain and wind, but the others lost something for the fog.

Try as I might, I can't think of other views of nature in NS that I have admired more than what can be seen on the simple drive along the north shore of Cobequid Bay between Truro and Parrsboro. The area is peaceful with plenty of greenery around and there is one spot where an island sits just out in the Bay that looks really awesome whether it is gloomy and grey or sunny and warm. I've loved driving along that road, and even stopping in a country store along the way.

Wish I knew of a romantic B & B in that area... <sigh>

Anyway, I don't think that you can go wrong, just pick something and enjoy yourselves. NS is compact enough to be there for spontaneous interest in sightseeing and if you only have one or two places to stay during your trip you won't have to go out into the surrounding society at all if you don't want to.

Congratulations!