Reload this Page >

Nightlife in Canada

Search

Nightlife in Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 09:13 AM
Sharon

Nightlife in Canada

We are holidaying in Canada for three weeks in July with our two teenage daughters (16 & 14. Here in England we are used to a pub nightlife were we can usually also take kids if you are having a meal. Are there places like that in Canada? We dont want to have to go to diners every night and would like some variety. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Ariel

It would be helpful to know were in Canada you are going. Each city tends to be a bit different in their nightlife and their attitude towars minors in a pub/bar. Here in Toronto we have a number of pubs and bars that serve as restuarants in the early part of the evening and kids are allowed. I believe that most of the pubs allow minors to stay for a while after the dinner hour, especially during the week, but on Fri/Sat night not allowed. If you are more specific than peopel can give you suggestions on were to eat English pub style.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 10:09 AM
dnorrie

If you are holidaying in Alberta, you cannot bring underage children into pubs where smoking is allowed in most areas. Pubs generally are for adults (18+) only. I know it is more relaxed in England but restrictions prevail here because of the smoking by-laws.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Sharon

Thanks for the replies. We are travelling from Calgary through the Rockies and on to Vancouver & Victoria.I guess I'll have to hope the weather stays fine then we wont feel the need to have to stay indoors in the Evenings.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Brian Kilgore

It stays light quite late into the evening in southern Alberta and British Columbia. Evenings get cool, but it is sweater weather, not coat weather, so you can happily be outside. <BR> <BR>In Vancouver, there is a lot of outdoor dinner eating, and lots of street life in Gastown and on Robson Street, so you won't be bored there. <BR> <BR>As a general rule, bars, pubs, etc. where the main purpose is the consumption of alcohol, perhaps accompanied by a little food, are out of bounds for people under either 18 or 19 (varies by province and I do not know the Alberta and B.C. laws) But they are welcome in restaurants where alcohol is served but food is the main product, but may not drink the booze. <BR> <BR>BAK

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 04:17 PM
dnorrie

Hi Sharon - there are still lots of places you can visit and have a beer or whatever with your children. As was posted above, as long as the main service is food, no worries. <BR>Brewsters, which is a chain, is a good example of a fun time - not quite like the English pub but still fun. It is the bars that prohibit entry of minors. In Alberta and BC, we generally don't have pubs that are like England. And, you probably wouldn't want to take your children into a "bar" anyhow. You will find lots of places that you can visit. If you are visiting Calgary in July and it is Stampede time, make sure you book a room well in advance as the city fills up. You may also want to take in Drumheller - great Paleontology museum - well worth the visit. Have fun.