Reload this Page >

10 day driving trip to Nova Scotia/PEI

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 06:37 PM
Laura

My husband and I would like to take a driving vacation of Nova Scotia and PEI for 10 days during July. Any recommendations on scenic routes, sites, B&Bs/hotels, restaurants that shouldn't be missed?

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 09:34 AM
Thor Manson

Laura: Did a similar trip last summer, and, although I no longer am there, I did live in Nova Scotia for 10 years. My recommendations: Both Nova Scotia, and PEI publish excellent guides to accomodation, and other things. Bed and Breakfasts, in my opinion, are the way to go, as, unlike other North American destinations, they are still reasonably priced, and are a great way to meet fellow travellers, and residents. Start off in Halifax, which is definitely worth a few days' visit. Take the lighthouse route to Mahone Bay, and Lunenberg. The ocean water gradually warms up during the summer, so that you can swim. Cut across the spine of Nova Scotia, and check out some Annapolis Valley communities, and the Fundy Shore. Spend a few days in the Wolfville area. Drive from there to PEI, avoiding the main route, ( Nova Scotia, 103, or 102 , I think). Cross the confederation bridge from the South East corner of New Brusnwick, to PEI, and head to Charlottetown. Spend some time there, and then head out to the St Peters Bay area on the North Shore. Check out the newly opened Dunes National Park, and the area around Montague, ( Peenamin Island Provincial Park- the beach there is great for swimming). Take the Wood Island ferry back to Nova Scotia, and, depending on time, take the scenic route back to Halifax along the Eastern Shore, or, if pressed for time, the more direct route. If you like seafood, take advantage of the numerous Lobster suppers, especially on PEI. Have fun

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 03:25 PM
Laura

Thor ... Thanks so much for the great suggestions. I'm anxious to plan our trip and you've given me a great head start.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 12:00 PM
Island Girl

Hi Laura, <BR> <BR>I'm from PEI, but no longer living there. The first poster had great suggestions for you. To get the guides mentioned, go to www.gov.pe.ca and www.gov.ns.ca. They will mail the tourism guides out to you. My advice is to book your PEI accommodations asap, as they fill up really fast. One recommendation is North Winds Motel in Brackley Beach. It's very near the beach, just outside National Park gates. It's newly renovated, the rooms are spacious, and it provides a great, free breakfast, lots of home-baked goodies. <BR> <BR>As to lobster, everyone's got their preferences but New Glasgow Lobster Suppers offers a real old-fashioned eating experience and tons of great food. Also in New Glasgow is the PEI Preserve tea room. Nice for lunch or a snack, and you can pick up some preserves made on-site. <BR> <BR>The suggestion for the new Dunes National Park is excellent - that part of PEI is not to be missed. I believe Thor meant to say Panmure Island Provincial Park, the beach there is great and on good days you can see the outline of Cape Breton Island from the viewing platform. <BR> <BR>As to NS, also awesome. If you've got the time, you might want to try to add a couple of days for Cape Breton Island. The 2 must-do things there, in my opinion, are the Cabot Trail and Fortress Louisbourg. <BR> <BR>If you'd like more info, drop me an email and I'll help if I can. Have fun!

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 03:22 PM
Vanessa

I did a similiar trip last year and loved it. Here's a couple B&B recommendations: <BR> <BR>Annapolis Royal NS: <BR>http://www.holidayjunction.com/canada/ns/cns0025.html<BR> <BR>Sydney NS: http://www.bbcanada.com/81.html<BR>Stanley Bridge PEI: http://www.icondata.com/smallman/<BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Island Girl

Hi Laura, <BR> <BR>I just thought of this B&B worth mentioning. It's An Seanne Mhanse B&B, built in 1906 as the minister's residence in Baddeck, NS on Cape Breton Island. Phone 902-295-2538 or email:[email protected].

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Mickey

Hi - I didn't see Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia being mentioned by anyone else (unless I missed it?) and just can't imagine why not -- except that it is a little out of the way for a 10 days vacation. Still - I can't imagine missing one of the most spectacular areas in North America when you're that close - The "Cabot Trail" drive through the park is absolutely breathtaking. My husband and I are planning our 3rd trip out East this summer, and every trip we visit new destinations EXCEPT we always include a few days in Cape Breton.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Mike

Just to second the above poster- if you can only do one thing on this entire trip, do the Cabot trail on Cape Breton. Looking out over those high lonesome cliffs onto the stormy Atlantic below will take your breath away.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 09:35 AM
Deb

Laura, my family did the same trip two years ago. You will love it. We rented a cottage in PEI for a week. Then we spent a couple of days at the Pines Resort in Digby, Nova Scotia. Just beautiful. It is a very classy historic hotel. We had a cottage on the premises - be sure to check it out. Have fun!

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 02:13 PM
Laura

I've been away for a while so I just reviewed my post. WOW!! Thanks so much to everyone for their great suggestions. I promise a trip report (and this time I'll find out what the data limit is. Last night I spent 20 minutes writing a lengthy, descriptive trip report on Las Vegas -- we were there for 5 days -- and it got posted as an empty topic. There must be a size limit. If anyone knows what that might be, I'm sure we could all benefit, and not feel like we've wasted a junk of time writing something that doesn't get posted.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 06:59 PM
jj

Laura: Here are some thoughts about your trip to NS and PEI. <BR> <BR>From Halifax, drive south to West Dover. Shaw's Landing is a great place for breakfast with a nice view of the harbor. Get to Peggy's Cove before 10 or it will be overrun with tour buses. <BR> <BR>There isn't a lot to see on the lower NS peninsula. Save your time for Cape Breton. Baddeck is in the center of the island and we stayed at the Duffus House, a charming B&B on the water. From Baddeck you can day trip to Louisbourg (after the fortress tour, spend some time just watching the Atlantic slam the shore) or drive the Cabot Trail; you can do it in a day. On the western shore, visit Cheticamp, a charming Acadian village with plenty of local crafts and flavor. <BR> <BR>On PEI, we stayed at the Barachois Inn in North Rustico. From there we enjoyed several scenic drives around PEI National Park, Malpeque Bay and Cavendish. New Glasgow lobster suppers are wonderful, and my wife liked the Malpeque Bay oysters in New London <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 07:24 PM
Laura

Thanks everyone. This is going to be a great trip. I'll be sure to write a trip report when we get back.