Niagara/Niagara on the Lake

Old Oct 28th, 1998, 08:51 AM
Connie

Niagara/Niagara on the Lake

My husband and I are planning a 3-4 day romantic getaway to the Falls. Can anyone recommend a nice place to stay? How is Renaissance Fallsview? Holiday Inn by The Falls? I have seen South Landing Inn recommended but can find no info on internet? Any romantic intimate B&B's that aren't like staying in a stranger's house if you know what I mean? I sincerely appreciate any help. Many thanks in advance!

Old Oct 28th, 1998, 08:53 AM
Connie

I forgot to mention we are going the week of November 14th. Has anyone visited this time of year?

Old Oct 28th, 1998, 04:48 PM
Donna

My husband and I stayed at the South Landing Inn a month ago and really enjoyed it. From the outside, it looks like a motel, but inside, the rooms are beautifully decorated country inn style and are very comfortable. The rates are amazingly low for the quality of the rooms. We loved our room with its private porch and wicker furniture. The owners' daughter showed us other rooms and suites, some with cathedral ceilings and fireplaces which were gorgeous as well. Very, very romantic. We really liked the location, midway between NOTL and the Falls. The scenery along the drive in each direction is fabulous. It's also very near the Queenston Heights Restaurant which we thought was excellent (and would be quite nice on a chilly evening with a fire in the fireplace). There's a website (http://www.tourismniagara.com/southlanding). I, personally, would not bother with a room with a view of the falls since there are so many ways to view the falls, including strolling really close. Note that the views from the restaurants at Table Rock and Victoria Park are spectacular and the food is excellent and reasonably priced - so it is not necessary to dine "on high" - although we did enjoy the view from the Skylon Tower enormously. A ride on the Maid of the Mist is a must. Just be sure to tuck anything inside you don't want to get wet. We also loved Niagara-on-the-Lake. Awesome shopping (especially the Christmas shop - huge selection, beautiful and whimsical items, reasonable prices) and dining. The lounge at the Prince of Wales Hotel is a terrific spot for a romantic drink. If the Shaw Festival is still running (www.shawfest.com), be sure to get tickets (in advance). We loved this! Our favorite souvenir is the Niagara Falls screensaver, 35 incredible shots of the falls. I only saw this in one gift shop (Table Rock, I think, is where we found it).

Old Oct 28th, 1998, 04:50 PM
Donna

P. S. The Butterfly Conservatory was incredible!

Old Nov 7th, 1998, 03:45 PM
s.fowler

Depends on what you want from your room. If you want a view of the falls with a balcony to sit on try the Skyline Foxhead. It is just a hotel full of Asian tourists [well it *was*], but the balcony and the view was more romantic than any amount of wicker and fluffy pillows. The Skyline Brock is more historic, but it;s further away and doesn't have balconies.