Reload this Page >

NIAGARA FALLS TRIP

Search

NIAGARA FALLS TRIP

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 05:56 AM
luke

NIAGARA FALLS TRIP

I am planning a trip to Toronto this summer. Having never been to that part of Canada, I would like to see Niagara Falls. Is it possible to see the falls and maybe stop in Niagara-on the-Lake all within the same day? Is it trying to crowd too much in? Are the lines in summer at the Niagara attraction going to make it impossible? I notice that some of the bus tours out of Toronto do both, would that be a better option than driving myself?

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 03:34 PM
Karen

Luke, <BR>It is definitely possible to do both in a day. Take the QEW east to Niagara Falls first (approx. 100km from TO. Then travel along the Niagara River Parkway to Niagara-on-the-Lake. There are many beautiful vistas and interesting stops along the way!

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 06:47 PM
Donna

It's definitely possible to do both. The drive from Toronto to NOTL is an hour and a half to two hours, depending on traffic and road construction. You can "stroll" NOTL in an hour. More time is nice, and there are lots of wonderful places for lunch, and a ride to the lakeshore would be nice as well. On a clear day, you can see the skyline of Toronto from the gazebo. It's about a half hour drive from NOTL to The Falls. And, a lovely ride it is! Breathtaking as The Falls come into view. Once there, you'll be directed to the nearest lot with parking spaces available. Then, you can find a People Mover Stop and ride all over on the one-day pass. It stops at all the major attractions. The most popular are Journey Behind the Falls (go there first for your timed ticket, you can do other things in the meantime) and Maid of the Mist. If the lines appear long at MotM, don't worry, as they move quickly - boats go out one after another. It's all handled most efficiently. For terrific dining with magnificent views of Horseshoe Falls, the restaurant at Victoria Park or Table Rock are perfect. The early bird specials are a steal, if that fits your timing. (see the Niagara Parks Commission website for more information and their 800 number - reservations usually essential). I'm usually a huge fan of bus tours for seeing a lot in a limited time. But, in this case, I'd favor going on your own. On the other hand, with a tour, someone else does all the driving, and the tours usually have "appointments" at the attractions. You won't be able to see as much as you'd like in one day, but you'll see plenty. Enjoy!!!

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 05:38 PM
pat

I, too am planning a trip to Niagara. How many days do I need to stay to see the area? I don`t want to go to Toronto or Buffalo, just Niagara and Niagara on the Lake.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 04:13 AM
Brian Kilgore

PAT: How long depends on how much timeyou want to spend at various things, but many people believe one day is long enough. If you are traveling from fr away, stretch it to two days. <BR>For instance, some people would spend hours at the Niagara parks Commission greenhouses, looking at every flower, and others, who don't love gardening as much, would be through in half an hour. Same for the butterfly conservatory. <BR> <BR>And would you want to visit one winery, or four? <BR> <BR>Niagara on the lake is famouse for the Shaw Fetival, live theatre that fetures but is not clmpletly devoted to, the plays of George Bernard Shaw. If you want to see two plays, that would be a matinee and an evening, and make your stay longer. And would you spend half a day on a golf course? <BR> <BR>As for seeing Toronto. If you have never been to Toronto, and you are coming from far away, it is worth the drive. <BR> <BR>LUKE: You've got some good answers already (Note particularly the advice to take the Maid of the Mist) but in anser to the car / tour question. I'd say to take your own car. There may be some traffic, but the freedom to move between Niagara Falls and Niagara ont he lake and to stop where you want is worth it. <BR> <BR>In the city of NF itself, it will probably be better to park the car and take the tourist People Mover buses between the attractions, and then go back to your car and drive to Niagara on the Lake, and visit wineries, fruit stands, and park somehwere in town for your stroll around it. <BR> <BR>BAK