Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Camping, Hostels, Cabin options in Jasper

Jul 19th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Ruth

My husband and I are traveling to Banff and Jasper in a few weeks. We would like to balance our stay (7 nights) with hotels and either campgrounds, hostels, or cabins. Has anyone stayed at Mt. Kerkeslin, Whistler, or Wilcox Creek campgrounds? How about Beauty Creek or Jasper International Hostels? And Tekarra Lodge, Overlander Mountain, or Patricia Bungalows?

I'm sure we'll do the all out Jasper Park Lodge for at least a night, but some other options would be nice too.

Thank you so much - this list has been incredibly helpful.

Ruth

Jul 24th, 2001, 09:58 AM
Richard

In June my wife and I found a comfortable place to stay right near downtown Jasper. It was a group of log cabins called Bear Hill Lodge, and we found it to be clean,quiet, and reasonably priced. Not having an advance reservation, we eyeballed several possibilities, and there seemed to be lots of places available. We didn't explore hostels or campgrounds. However, we did see an attractive hostel down the way in Waterton, in case you should be stopping there. Good luck!

Jul 24th, 2001, 10:14 AM
traveller

If you want to travel to Waterton, I would recommend it. It is a lovely little town however, it is SMALL. And it gets quite booked up. Search for Waterton on the internet and pre-book a place to stay. The Kilmorrey (sp?) has a lovely ambiance, the Bay Shore is just a motel but ok, the Glacier Waterton Suites are quite luxurious but expensive. If you want some more info on Waterton, please post and I will respond personally. I don't put my email address on this site anymore.

Good luck.

Jul 24th, 2001, 10:42 AM
mc

My family and I stayed at Tekarra Lodge for a couple of days one year ago. The place is beautiful, on a hill overlooking the river, and it was very quiet, but our cabin was very dirty, the floors needed some serious sweeping, and the curtains were very dusty. I wouldn't recommend it.

Jul 27th, 2001, 05:24 AM
Island Girl

Hi Ruth,

Any campground in the National Park will be top-notch. The only one I've had a problem with was Two-Jack near Banff, but that's only because our site was right beside the firewood pile! Very noisy.

We have stayed at the Astoria Hotel in Jasper and found it to be reasonably priced, and quite nice. Plus the location is excellent...you can walk to everything in Jasper townsite.

Enjoy!