Need tips on Victoria visit

Old May 8th, 2001, 10:41 PM
Joe Hoehlein

Need tips on Victoria visit

I'm thinking of spending a few days in Victoria in mid-June and have heard conflicting comments on the ferries. I would like to take the Sunday 6/17 ferry to Victoria from Port Angeles and return to the states on Tuesday to Anacortes. Would appreciate some knowledgable heads-up on that plan and a recommendation for reasonable lodging for a couple of retirees.
Thanks, you all!!

Old May 8th, 2001, 11:30 PM
April

I assume you'd be taking the Coho ferry from Port Angeles rather than the passenger-only Victoria Express that is supposed to begin in May?

Here are some hotels that are in very close proximity to the inner harbour attractions in Victoria:
- Admiral Motel
- Ramada Huntingdon Manor
- Embassy Inn
- Queen Victoria Inn (my retired aunt & uncle always like to stay there)
- Royal Scot Suite Hotel (and one time they stayed there - it seemed nice enough)
- Helm's Inn (older establishment)

Probably all of those would cost over $100 Can. a day. Better rates may be found out of town.

If you have a vehicle and don't mind being a few minutes out of town, the Rockland area has some B&Bs in lovely old houses and mansions.

Old May 9th, 2001, 07:27 AM
April?

Thanks for your lodging suggestions and taking the time to reply. You are right - I was thinking about the mid-day or late afternoon Coho ferry since we will have a rental car. Some of the comments posted on this site are a year or two old and not very encouraging. Hopefully things have changed or will be different in mid-June. Am I an optomist or what? Thanks!

Old May 9th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Miriam

I was in Victoria last June and it was absolutely wonderful. The weather was perfect. Several years ago I rode the large ferry that took cars across and it was great, but last year rode the Victoria Express and it was horrible. The water was rough and we were too far to turn back. There was no doubt in my mind I was going to drown. Everyone got sick. I would never ride it again. We stayed at the Laurel Point Inn in Victoria. It was not too expensive and a really good place to stay.

Old May 9th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Bob Brown

I hope that the ferry line is not as backed up for you as it was for me when I tried to take it. The waiting time was measured in days, not hours.
There were all sorts of camper and RV outfits sleeping in line.
Perhaps by June 17 the summer crowd will not have grown to August sizes.

In Victoria, I recommend the BC Provincial Museum close to the harbor, near the ferry terminal, and Butchart Gardens. Normally I yawn through gradens when I wander along with my wife. But Butchart is something special. It and the Rose Test Gardens in Portland are World Class, capital W.

Old May 9th, 2001, 05:47 PM
Miriam

Thanks Miriam, I heard that the Laurel Point was a good place to stay. a friend has us leaning toward the Admiral Motel. I'm still worried about guarantying a reservation when I'm not sure what it will take to get on the June 17th, 5 p.m. Sunday Coho ferry to Victoria from Port Angeles. Maybe it won't be too bad. THANKS

Old May 9th, 2001, 05:50 PM
Bob Brown

Hi Bob, Were you talking about delays on the Coho ferry from Port Angeles? Thanks for the points of interest tips!!!

Old May 9th, 2001, 06:32 PM
Bob Brown

Something strange going on here.
I did not write the above message, but it is attributed to me. It sounds like I am asking myself a question to which I already know the answer.
Not suffering from amnesia, only absent mindedness, I don't need to answer because I remember the event.
I don't usually talk to myself on Fodors, either. I do talk to myself only when Windows 98 has just fouled up again. (And it is not printable or repeatable in the presence of small children.)

Just in case the message was meant for me, and not inscripted correctly by the author the answer is:
I was on the USA side in Port Angeles.
We had the bright idea of crossing over to Victoria on the Black Ball or what ever that tub is called. It was about 8 AM when we got there and learned that the waiting time in line for us to cross to Victoria was about 24 hours.
We rode across as foot passengers. When we landed, there was a bus taking people to Butchart Gardens, but we opted for the BC Museum, which is excellent.
And we had a nice lunch. Having to ride that scow both ways was hard on my patience.
If that line is very long, like more than 10 hours, you could drive around to Tsawwassen south of Vancouver and take the BC Ferry over. Now those are ferry boats. The ones on the Swartz Bay Tsawwassen run hold something like 460 vehicles and move right along.

Old May 9th, 2001, 08:24 PM
April

I didn't write that message after my own either. Anyway, I don't think anything has changed with the Coho as far as number of sailings go. July and August would probably be the busiest months - I'm not sure how it would be mid June. Your best bet might be to call the company before you head up there and they should be able to tell you what to expect. If it's bad news, it might be better to do as Bob suggests - drive up to Tsawwassen.

Old May 11th, 2001, 03:50 PM
sheri

If you want to do a loop, do the trip in reverse (Anacortes or Tsawwassen to Victoria, then Victoria to Port Angeles). If the ferry wait is long (and in June, it's pretty much guaranteed to be at least a couple hours), at least you can park your car in the ferry line in Victoria (call the ferry company the day before and find out what time you should have your car there) and go do something fun (for instance, save your visit to the Royal BC Museum for that time slot). There's not nearly as much to do in downtown Port Angeles.