Need opinions...Sunshine Coast ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While visiting Portland we will take a week away to explore the BC west coast area.
We are interested in taking that time to experience great scenery and few people.
2 nights will be spent in Vancouver out of necessity (been there several times) and then the rest of the time traveling up the Sunshine Coast to Vancouver Island to the Pacific.
Is it worth traveling up the Sunshine Coast? I can't find too much on this forum about it.
Thanks in advance!

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 03:05 PM

Sunshine Coast is gorgeous scenery, even the 40 min ferry ride over is scenic.

If you're looking for lots to do, I think it's the wrong place. This is the place to go and do nothing.

Gibsons has the harbour area, and Molly's Reach where Beachcombers (an old TV show) was filmed.

Roberts Creek is nice, with a provincial park.

Sechelt is another community, further up.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Klam...
We are just looking for good scenery and we like to explore...without the crowds.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 11:49 PM

All of BC has great scenery! You can't miss nearly anywhere. However, I too wouldn't so the Sunshine Coast. I'd rather to the Gulf Islands. But I see your idea is to take the ferry from the Sunshine Coast to Vancouver Island. It's actually prettier to take the ferry from Vanc to Nanaimo before you cross to the Pacific (Long Beach is worth the trip but take your umbrella!) or to Victoria and drive up the island.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 02:25 AM

To my oppionion the sushine cost is very senic and offers good opportunities for outdoor activties (recommendations are Kayaking Desolation Sound adjacent to northern sections of the SCT; Canoeing the Powell Forest Canoe Route, hiking at Powell River). Take also a look into www.coastandmountains.bc.ca

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:29 AM
ltt

spent several weeks touring bc and the final leg was the sunshine coast. had to do two ferry crossings in one day: saltry bay to earl's cove and then langdale to horseshoe. the first ferry was VERY late so we missed the next connection and sat in the parking lot for 2 hours in major heat. there was no where to go for shade. the route from powell river to whister ended up being 3 1/2 hours longer then expected. it was one of the worst day's i've ever had travelling in my life. in my opinion, the scenary of the sunshine coast is NOT worth the hasstle of two ferries. however, keep in mind that we had just spent a week enjoying the beauty of tofino and mayne island. is it beautiful, yes...would i do it again, no. take the ferry from horseshoe to departure bay and spend the time on vancouver island or exploring some of the other islands.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

wow....
I really am going to have to rethink this trip.
Actually, I am kind of relieved with the suggestions to skip Sunshine because I was feeling rushed.
This may end up being a last minute decision.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:05 AM

The Sunshine Coast has excellent scuba diving. If you're a diver, it's worth the trip. Otherwise, I would pick a different spot to get a dose of beautiful BC scenery - as the others suggested: the Gulf Islands (what about a couple of nights at Harbour House on Saltspring Island?), Long Beach, Tofino, etc.

I grew up on the Sunshine Coast, and mostly viewed it as a hurdle to overcome in my quest to acquire big city trends (clothes and music). With the except of Gibsons, it's mostly "real" small town (and that's bad as well as good), rather than touristy/charming small town. Very twisty roads, plus a couple of ferry rides to get anywhere. Not good if you tend to get carsick.