Need infos on bears and caribous parks in Quebec

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some help to optimize (if possible) my trip. We are staying ,family with one 12 years old kid, 2 nights in Quebec city. Therefore we'll have one full day plus few other hours to visit the city. Then we are going to Tadoussac for 2 more nights to see the whales. Now I was thinking to go back down to Montreal spending one night in Baie Saint-Paul. I've tried to understand if there is on this itinerary some private or public park, not too off my itinerary, where my son can see all the other animals that are typical from this area (bears, deers, caribous, etc.). Could anyone give some hints? Or maybe there is just another place between Tadoussac and Montreal, besides Baie Saint-Paul, where these can be seen. Help!
Milli
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 02:09 PM

I'm not from Quebec, but I really don't thing you have any chance of seeing caribou between Montreal and Quebec City. They live up much farther north (see http://www.hww.ca/hww2.asp?id=85).

As for deer and bears, someone more familiar with the ares will need to answer, but I'd be surprised at the if you saw any bears.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 03:30 PM

Hi milli,

In "southern" Quebec caribou are found in Parc des Grands Jardins (within easy reach of Baie St-Paul) and at Mont Albert. I have only seen them at Mont Albert (which is not where you will be), and despite two treks through Parc des Grands Jardins they remained elusive.

There are black bears in Quebec, and I have twice come upon them upexpectedly while hiking along the Saquenay. This is not how you want to introduce your child (or yourself) to bears.

Deer are in abundance, and are a potential hazard on any rural backroad after dark. Please drive carefully.

This information may not help in your search for wildlife, but I see that you are coming to Montreal. Please visit the Biodome, a wonderful experience for children of all ages 0-150. The poison dart frogs are my favourites (and I know the wonderful woman who helped bring them here).

JQ

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 05:57 PM

Seeing wildlife in their natural habitat is a hit and miss, usually a miss. Parc des Grands-Jardins is the best but nothing is garanteed, faaaaaaar from it.

I believe there's some place around Tadoussac that attracts bears but I've also heard they had questionnable methods.

There's a zoo in St-Felicien that's a bit out of the way: http://www.borealie.org/

Close to Montreal, you can see deers at Parc des Îles de Boucherville or Longueuil regional park. You're almost certain to see them.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. I guess i'll check Erick's suggestion. Best
Milli