7 days in Montreal/Quebec

Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

7 days in Montreal/Quebec

Hi -
My husband and I (both mid-twenties) will be visiting Montreal and Quebec city for a week total in late August. I'm looking for advice on how many days we should spend in each city, as well as any recommendation for an area to do some hiking, either as a day trip or overnight near one of the two cities.
Thanks!
Aug 6th, 2005, 05:41 PM

Well Im not much of a hiker but I'll give this post a try. Quebec is very picturesque and is lovely to see but for nightlife and activities you should try Montreal. I would go two third montreal and 1/3 QUebec. As far as day trips you could go whale watching to the east of quebec and as far as Montreal both north in the laurentians and south in the eastern townships offer from hiking to vineyards. If you are more specific I will try to help some more. Try to time your trip with one of the festivals in Montreal, also we have fireworks each weekend and you could have a nice bateau mouche dinner tour on the st. lawrence
Aug 6th, 2005, 07:21 PM

Quebec City has much better hiking close by. Jacques-Cartier park is the closest and "Les Loups" trail is a personnal favorite in the park. "Mont du lac des Cygnes" trail in Grands-Jardins park is a classic hike and one of my favorite trail in the province. Make sure you do the entire loop and bring some bread for the Canada Jays at both small lakes. "L'Acropole des Draveurs" in Hautes-Gorges de la rivière Malbaie park is another classic, but I haven't had the chance to do it yet. I'd suggest taking two day to visit both parks and stay overnight in Charlevoix.

Another option is La Mauricie park north of Shawanigan, about halfway between Montreal and Québec. There are two good trails at both end of the 75km laurentian trail. One is 13km and the other, 17km. There's a short version (11km) of the 17km trail but I'd rather do the 13km. While long, the 17km trail is not difficult.

As far as both cities, Quebec can be visited in a long day but I find easier to just relax and take it easy in Quebec City. Montreal has more things to do.
Aug 8th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

These are great suggestions, and Grands Jardin sounds particularly nice. A google search turned up only some pictures and tour group itineraries for the park, nothing really useful. Any suggestions for a site with directions, etc.?
Thank you so much!
Aug 8th, 2005, 03:08 PM

Hi, I am in the process of researching a trip to Montreal end of Aug. I have been told that Jet Boating is unbelievable for the family. You get wet so bring a change of clothes. For more info go to their website "Saute Moutons".
Aug 8th, 2005, 05:51 PM

Quebec City is beautiful but not that diverse. It's only a bit over two hours from Montreal so you could drive there early one morning, stay one night, have an early dinner the second day and still be back in Montreal at a reasonable hour.

Montreal is a bustling vibrant cosmopolitan city, you'll find much more to do there. For hiking, Mont St. Hilaire is great and is only a 30 minute drive from the city.
Aug 8th, 2005, 06:51 PM

See www.sepaq.com

Grands-Jardins park: 138 east and just past Baie St-Paul, take 381 north.
Nov 23rd, 2005, 09:59 AM

ttt so I can find this again