Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Necessary to make advanced restaurant reservations this time of year?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:49 AM
David

Well, we finally leave for Quebec City and Montreal this coming Friday. I thought I had it all planned out until I realized we don't have any restaurant reservations! <BR><BR>Is it necassary this time of year to have advanced reservations? More so for QC than Montreal or vice versa? Only on weekends, not at all--or just at the exclusive places?<BR><BR>We loooooove to eat so this is really important to us. <BR><BR>Thanks for all your advice and tips!<BR><BR>Davidcs

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Susan

I just replied to another query on Quebec City. Popular place. We were there on the September long weekend. It was very crowded, but we had no trouble finding a restaurant. I guess if you want something very special or specific, you might want a reservation, but you know, sometimes it's more fun to leave things to chance and be a bit more spontaneous. Besides, if you see something appealing, you could always make a reservation for later that day.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Louis

You should not have any problem making same day reservations. Always good to make reservations for most popular places on Fri & Sat nites.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Lisa

Louis:<BR><BR>Do you mean more than a day in advance or just the same day?

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Louis

I mean the same day, i.e. call around 16:00 hrs for a dinner reservation that evening.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:50 AM
David

Thanks Susan and Louis (and Lisa--for getting that clarified).<BR><BR>Also thanks, Louis, for all the other helpful info you've passed on to me and others: you're a real benefit to this site!<BR><BR>Davidcs

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:52 AM
kate

I have waited to make reservations at Cafe Ferraire on Peel and have been told no, they are so busy on weekends. I don't know about other popular places, but if there is somewhere you know you want to eat, why not book ahead?<BR>We will be there at the end of OCt and will book about 2 weeks before.I hate to look forward to eating somewhere then be told that I should have booked in advance!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Fran

Kate, are you saying they will not, as a policy, make a reservation? The message was confusing. You then say you'll do so two weeks ahead.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Donna

Like Kate, I've phoned before leaving home, or once we've arrived, only to learn that there is no possibility of a table on a Friday or Saturday night. If there are specific places you'd like to visit and like to dine at "prime time" (7 or 8), it's ALWAYS best to reserve ahead to avoid disappointment.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 04:12 PM
kate

Hi Fran, sorry I was garbled<BR>WHat I meant was....we have tried to get reservations (at Cafe Ferriere) once we are in Montreal, and have not been able to get any, they are full-booked.<BR>Last fall we had to take them for a different night, as the weekend was booked. Now, I make them a couple of weeks in advance from home.<BR>We do the same for Toque, although the first time we ever ate there, we were walk ins and had never heard of the place! Talk about luck!<BR>It is nothing to book ahead, you can cancel if there is a problem or change in your schedule, but you will be glad you have them when you get there.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Fran

Always suprised people fail to book well in advance. Your hotel will handle this for you if you ask. That's the easiest approach - we always talk with teh concierge several times before arriving and use his/her services to the hilt. Naturally this person is included in our gratutiy list, right at the top, on day one, and the last day too, with a card of thanks as well. You would not believe the level of service we see.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Lisa

What is Cafe Ferraire? Can you tell me a little about it?<BR><BR>Thank you.<BR><BR>Lisa (I'm Not)

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Lisa

What is Cafe Ferraire? Can you tell me a little about it?<BR><BR>Thank you.<BR><BR>Lisa (I'm Not)

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Tim

We just returned from Quebec City. Wonderful! Reservations did not seem to be necessary, especially if you wanted to eat on the early side (6PM or so). Try Mistral Gagnant on Rue St. Paul for really good Provencal meals, the Chef is from Provence, France and knows his stuff.<BR><BR>Also in lower town is Delice du Roi for good hearty Quebecuois offerings, on Rue St. Pierre. Comfort food. <BR><BR>We also enjoyed lunch at Louis Hebert on the Grand Allee. A magical town , hope the weather is as good for you as it was for us.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Donna

Cafe Ferriera has a website: http://www.ferreiracafe.com/

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 03:58 PM
kate

Thanks Donna<BR>WE discovered Cafe F when in Montreal one August, a few years ago. We now go every year. There is nothing that we don't like about it. The food is so good, the music is always interesting, the service is excellent. Just remember to make reservations as soon as you can!<BR>We made ours already for October!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 05:57 PM
al

Cafe Ferriera (sp?) is a very good Portugese restaurant, specializing in fish. The grilled tuna is great. Reserve as it is very busy. Sometimes I find the service efficient but snooty and /or they are trying to hurry you.<BR><BR>Toque is excellent but book.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 06:37 PM
kate

Thank you Al everytime I spell Cafe F I spell it differently!<BR>I have found that the weekends are the most hectic and try to go on Sunday nights or during the week if possible. <BR>Their grilled octopus is wonderful!