Must-sees on Lake Huron Shore

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must-sees on Lake Huron Shore

Heading to the Lake Huron Shore from Detroit for a couple days, 3 at the most. We'll be going at least as far as Goderich. Can someone familiar with the area suggest destinations? For example, should we skip Goderich and drive straight to Tobermory? Or would it be wiser to hit various towns and parks on the way towards a destination south of the peninsula? We're not big spenders and like both old charm and natural splendor. Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 06:35 PM

If you want to stop en route, I would suggest Bayfield. It's quite small, but has interesting shops and restaurants. The Village Inn is a nice place to stay, but there are B&Bs as well. Just outside Goderich, the Benmiller Inn would make a great stop as well, but it might be a bit pricey.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 05:05 AM
ciaofornow

Lake Huron is known for it's magnificant sunsets. Hopefully, Mother Nature will co-operate.

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 05:08 AM

Lion's Head is lovely with breathtaking views of Georgian Bay. There are a couple of hikes you can do there. The road through the Bruce Penninsula (Hwy 6) is not that exciting, but it's the little bays etc. that are nice. There is also a backroad that goes from approx. Oliphant to Stok'es Bay. It is very pretty. There is a windmill farm along the way that gives tours. (Somewhere near Kinkardine). The drive to Tobermory from Sarnia is 4.5 to 5 hours. If you have 3 days I would try to get off the beaten path and explore as you'll have lots of time. Skip Grand Bend completely unless you are under 20. I would probably do Bayfield, Goderich, Southhampton, Sauble Falls, Lions Head, Tobermory.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Lolly, that's justy what I needed. Are any of the islands there a draw?
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 07:21 AM
BAK

I took thew photographs for Going To Town, architectural walking tours of ten Ontario towns. It's hard to find the book, but the towns are still there, including Goderich.

If you like architecture, you can walk abound the town, look at the churches and library and old rail station and the jail. Plus there's a great bakery there, so buy some butter tarts.

BAK
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 01:09 PM

What i would do is go straight up to Tobermory and go to Indian Head Cove and De Grotto? if thats how you spell it. The hiking is awesome and the view is probably one of the best in southwestern ontario. After that you should make your way to Manitoulan Island taking the ferry from Tobermory. Manitoulan is great for hiking fishing biking and spending time in the outdoors. PS: Take a swim in the lake cold but refreshing.