Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Must-see's for Greater Victoria (3 days) and Vancouver (1-1/2 days) w/3 toddlers

Search

Must-see's for Greater Victoria (3 days) and Vancouver (1-1/2 days) w/3 toddlers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 09:04 AM
Karen

We will be in Greater Victoria (3 days) and Vancouver (1-1/2 days) w/3 toddlers next week. We will take the Tsawassen ferry w/reservations from and back to Vancouver, spending all of our nights (4) on Vancouver Island. We have a car. We will have 2 1/2-days in Vancouver. <BR><BR>Is the Vancouver aquarium still as great as I remember? What else is a must in both places given our timeframe and children's ages?<BR><BR>Karen

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 09:14 AM
Karen

OH! And tell us where to eat that can't be missed. We are blessed with well-behaved, experienced restaurant children (as long as the waits are reasonable and they don't require a jacket and tie...we won't go THAT far!! So, include the best recommendations with the above in mind for both Greater Victoria and Vancouver. PS: Additional tips for outstanding sushi and Thai food are appreciated.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:43 PM
Shannon

The Aquarium is still the best bet for entertaining the little 'uns, even though the killer whale is no longer with us. They were doing major renovations, so not sure if it's all fixed up yet or not. Granville Island is great fun for parents and kids...save yourself the stress and avoid driving onto the island as parking is difficult. Best way to do it is to park near English Bay in the West End and take one of the little ferries (they go every 2 or 3 minutes) across False Creek. The kids will love it. Best sushi is Ichiban-kan on Thurlow St between Robson and Alberni, but the kids may be more interested in Tsunami Sushi on Robson as they have the boats on the water going round....hopefully that gives you some ideas!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:24 AM
fred

In Victoria you really must visit Buchart Gardens. They are just wonderful. For good fish and chips take a water taxi to Barb's...best in town.<BR><BR>Some really good pubs abound but with the kids may be off limits. <BR><BR>There is also a small place in a little white house (sorry can not recall the name) that does really good traditional English food and a super high tea service. Can anyone help with the name of this one for Karen?<BR><BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:30 AM
fred

Ah I remember now, it is James Bay Tearoom & Restaurant<BR><BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:31 AM
April

Was it some time ago that you ate at the James Bay Tea Room Fred? The last two times we went there (gave them a 2nd chance) the food was just plain awful. I wouldn't eat there again if it was free.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:09 PM
Susan

Vancouver Aquarium has a new baby beluga whale born 3 months ago. You can go to an underground viewing area and watch the baby nurse, etc. Take the trolley tour to see all the sights, Yaletown, Gastown, Granville Island, Stanley Park, Robson Street, The Museum of Anthropology, Chinatown and the Aquarium, etc. You can get off and on at will and beats driving downtown. We ate at Steamworks and Milestones while in Vancouver, both were good but not memorable. While in Victoria, try Pagliaccis downtown. We had our 2 sons (11 & 22) with us and the whole family loved it. Our guidebook said, "If you eat only one place in Victoria, go to Pagliaccis." We agree. Dress is casual. Try Smitty's for breakfast.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:47 PM
Barbara

Maybe it's gone now, but I remember a small zoo in Stanley Park with a "train" just the right size for kids!!<BR>And I'll 2nd Granville Isalnd. Even though our kids are now in high school they still love to go their when we go to Vancouver!

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Karen

Thanks to you all for your help...this Forum has helped me a lot. We leave in two days with great suggestions. Will report when we return!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 05:39 AM
fred

April<BR>yes it has been a while since we were last in Victoria. Sorry to hear that James Bay has gone bad. It used to be a pleasant place to eat with good food. Maybe owners changed? Ah, well, that is why this board is so useful, to keep up on what is good and bad. Thanks.<BR><BR>I hope that Barb's Fish and Chips are still as good as they once were - they were great and worth the trip.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Robyn

Karen, if you happen to check this website before you leave, look at <BR><BR>http://www.findfamilyfun.com which is a website made by a local family in Vancouver. They list all the activities you can do in Vancouver and the area with children. You'll probably find it very informative!