MUST attractions for Nova Scotia?

Nov 30th, 1999, 06:33 AM
Jud Compton

MUST attractions for Nova Scotia?

Message: We're working on a trip to Nova Scotia for next summer and are using the province's planning guide (Excellent!). But we're overwhelmed. Our principal interest is scenery, but what are several "must" attractions?

Nov 30th, 1999, 08:43 AM
Bob Brown

I have two suggestions: 1. the fortress at Louisbourg in the north and 2. a whale watching cruise. Before taking a cruise, find out how far out the boat goes. We took one from Cheticamp. Yes, we saw several pilot whales, but the boat stayed very close to land, so the chances of seeing large whales was minimal. Louisbourg gives history from a different perspective than the view I got in school, which was naturally the English side of it. The fortress tour is well done, complete with period costumes and the like. It is a little out of the way, being located in the far northeast corner of the province.

Nov 30th, 1999, 05:48 PM
Brian Kilgore

I like the marine museum at the Halifax waterfront, and the ferry boat trip to Dartmouth is inexpensive and fun.
The Cabot Trail in Cape Breton got rave reviews from a friend of mine this summer.
BAK

Dec 8th, 1999, 10:16 AM
lisa

I think the public gardens in Halifax are a must, and dinner at Salty's on the waterfront. And I highly recommend Halifax's Waverley Inn -- great location, lovely rooms, good service, excellent value. www.waverleyinn.com

Feb 20th, 2000, 03:55 PM
Pat

Take the lighthouse route south of Halifax. In my opinion it's one of the nicest areas. Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay, Lunenburg (where the famous Bluenose was built). Depending on your time, you may want to drive around the whole province along the scenic trails. The Bay of Fundy the world's highest/fastest tides (Annapolis Royal) area is interesting and Cape Breton's Cabot trail is also lovely. The people are wonderful have fun

Mar 10th, 2000, 10:39 AM
Neville

Dear Jud,
Being a bluenoser I may be be partial to one area or the other. However, upon reading the responses it looks like you should take a trip to the Cabot trail/cape breton highlands you can stop by the fortress on the way as one response had suggested. If you are staying in the Halifax area you will be in close proximity to Peggy's Cove approx.1/2 drive from city.The night life in halifax is awesome and if you like to party you will fit right in. I recommend the lower deck ( historic properties) and peddler's pub to name a few.If you go to the annapolis valley Cape split and the blomidon(sp) are very picturesque hall's harbour is a small but beautiful example of a fishing village if you are in the valley.
Have fun let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Mar 12th, 2000, 07:36 AM
Rick

Halifax is hosting the "International Parade of Sail" this summer (July I think). That is a must see. I also agree with some other recommendations regarding Peggys Cove (take the scenic drive) as well as Lunenburg. A trip to Digby is also nice (May I recommend the Mountain Gap Inn?) Enjoy your trip, Nova Scotia is a great place.

Mar 17th, 2000, 09:48 AM
Bert

We visited Nova Scotia two years ago and were so impressed,we are going back this fall. Some people might pooh-pooh the idea of seeing or riding a tidal bore, but, at least, it would be worth looking into. A tidal bore is where the tide which sweeps up the Bay of Fundy and has no place to go runs up the rivers which empty into the Bay of Fundy. So you watch the water going upstream. There are even rafting trips to ride the bore.
We loved Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg and Mahone Bay. This time we are going to do the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island. If you want some more info on the tidal bores in Nova Scotia, drop me an e-mail and I'll send more info on where they are and when they hit.

Have a great trip.