Mt. Edith Cavell hike

Jul 28th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Mt. Edith Cavell hike

Can anyone tell me how much time to allow to hike the Mt. Edith Cavell trail and/or the approximate distance. My husband and I are runners and hikers, and are fairly fit. Thanks for your input.
Jul 28th, 2004, 08:14 AM

You can take as much or as little time as you like at the Edith Cavell trail.

It begins at a parking lot, and as you walk up a set of stairs and across a bridge over a little creek, you will be able to see the whole extent of the trail right up to the little lake at the end, just below Angel Glacier.

The walk itself to the lake is on a rocky but well travelled trail. It seems to me that you can "do" the loop (coming to the lake from above and walking back on the lower portion) in less than an hour if you don't stop very often (for photos etc.).
You can also take the trail up to the Cavell Meadows - it winds via a few switchbacks above the rocky areas and into some Ponderosa pine woods before opening up to the meadow (in July blazing with flowers). This "meadows" trail branches from the upper portion of the "rocky" trail (it is very well marked) and probably takes about 2 hours to complete the loop (if I remember correctly).

Sorry that I can't give you more detailed information - we had a severe hail and thunderstorm two weeks ago and we had some water damage in our basement - which is where our library is - and it is currently in such a mess that I can't find our trail guide.

Bob Brown - who frequently posts on this forum, and who hikes all trails, recently returned from a Rocky Mountain vacation - will be able to give you precise information.

By the way - the Edith Cavell trail is worth it even in the rain !!

Jul 28th, 2004, 11:49 AM

I unfortunately did not do the Mount Edith Cavell part his year, so my knowledge is a little out of date.
Last year there were no major deviations from the hiking guide by Patton and Robinson.

If there is unusually heavy rain, the Cavell Meadows trail is sometimes closed.

I think Cavell Meadows is more than worth it because you can get up high enough to see into the "bowl" of the Angel Glacier. Most people take the low trail and see just that tongue of ice hanging over the edge of the mountain and think that is all there is to it.

The glacier is retreating. Pictures are around that show the ice coming all the way down to the bottom of the cliff.

The Path of the Glacier trail is 1 mile. But you can wander around and make it longer than that.

The Cavell Meadows loop is 4 miles, round trip from the parking lot.
The elevation gain is given by Patton and Robinson at 1,300 feet.

I still remember the first time I saw it in 1987. I thought it was quite a spectacle then, and I still do even after several visits.
Jul 29th, 2004, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Bob and Borealis for your very helpful replies. Borealis - sorry to hear about your basement. Hope you are able to salvage and save the important things. Good luck with your clean up.
Jul 29th, 2004, 05:51 AM

Those water soakings of vital possessions are a "bad scene".
A few years ago my office building burned, the famous Brooks Hall Fire at the U of Georgia. The fire was under the roof and did no burn damage below the first 2 floors. But the water used to put out the fire ruined every office in that part of the building.
I sympathize totally and fully.

I was in some of that rain storm near Calgary. Fierce. (I am presuming it was the same one.) I am used to southern thunderstorms, but that one was a real powerhouse. It contained a mixture of hail, driving rain coming down in buckets, high winds, and plenty of lightening. West of Calgary the ground was white with hail stones.
Jul 29th, 2004, 08:16 AM

Thunderstorms on the prairies are very local, so I don't think that Calgary was hit by the same storm that we were (although the same cold front could have caused separate storms in the Calgary area). I do know that Calgary had another fierce storm a few days later.

This storm was so severe in our area that hail was pounding our house (and flowers and shrubs etc.) for a solid hour. However, the east side of the city had only a few drops of rain at the same time.
Afterwards it looked like winter!! In fact, after it stopped hailing (the size of large marbles or slightly smaller than golf balls), my husband hauled out the snow shovel to push some of the hail-ice away from the house! Not only was it white - it was eerie. After the storm the clouds were the usual dark blue cumulonimbus, some shafts of sun were streaming through narrow slits between layers of cloud, the blazingly white hail was covering the ground to a depth of several inches, but because it was so warm and humid, steamy fog banks were quickly forming just above the ground. It was strangely beautiful.

We were lucky in that we did not have sewage back-up in our house (many others did). Water leaked into our basement through the "seam" between the concrete floor and wall. It soaked the carpet and underlay in one area (my husband's home office), and all his stuff had to be moved so that we could determine the extent of the damage, and now the rest of our family room/library is a total mess and I can't find any of our trail guidebooks.

Hope your summer is "quiet" whereever you are!!