Reload this Page >

Moving to Winnipeg

Search

Moving to Winnipeg

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 12:50 AM
Eve

Moving to Winnipeg

I'm moving to Winnipeg in october and I've been hearing both, very bad and very good things about the city. It seems that people REALLY love the city or REALLY hate it. I'm from a very big city but from what I've learned so Winnipeg is. Can anybody help me with that ? What can I expect from that city ? I know it's cold in the winter but since I like cold weather I don't see it as a problem ... Are locals nice to outsiders ? Will I be facing some kind of prejudice/racism ? From my research on net, people from Winnipeg ( and from all Canada in general ) seems VERY NICE !!! <BR>Thanks a lot.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Brian Kilgore

Ten minutes ago I was rding around Toronto in a travelvan that usually lives in Winnipeg, but since the van can't talk, it gave me no useful info. <BR> <BR>However the driver, who has a wife from Winnipeg, and I were talking about living in Winnipeg. His overall comment was that there sure are long winters, and the city is no-where, and a long way from anywhere. <BR> <BR>But if you are in Winnipeg, it is a nice place. <BR> <BR>Curent scandal about the ballet company and whether it is too popular and not artistic enough. The fact the scandal exists shows the cisty has some sophistication and capital C-style Class. <BR> <BR>Good restaurnts, live theatre, enough touring acts to keep you amused, great Northern Lights (Last time I was there, I was with a group from Alabama who were astounded by the lights) <BR> <BR>House prices, by Canadian standards, are very, reasonable. <BR> <BR>Prejudice is hard to pre-judge; what offends some people doesn't bother to many others. Like most Canadian cities, it has many faces of different colors; lots of native Canadians, many with social problems. Fair number of Asians (mostly newcomers, but there's a long-established but farily small long-established Chinese community) and lots of people with West Indian backgrounds. <BR> <BR>In all my visits there (I've never lived there, but used to visit several times a month for five years) I've always seen outsiders welcomed. <BR> <BR>Winnipeggers like to say "it's a dry cold" but, in fact, it's a cold cold. <BR> <BR>There are a great many worse places to live than Winnipeg. <BR> <BR>BAK <BR> <BR>