Moraine Lake in April?

Sep 7th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Moraine Lake in April?

I note that the 12km road into Moraine Lake from near Lake Louise is closed till May, and we will be in Banff early April. Is it possible to park somewhere and walk in along the road safely?
We are fit sixty something Aussies, and this will probably be our last chance to see it. Thanks.
Sep 8th, 2007, 07:52 AM

The first 8 km of the road are groomed for cross-country skiing in the winter. Then you hit a barrier because it is a high risk avalanche area. The barrier is at a turn in the road that offers a beautiful view of the valley.

Some people walk along the road on snow-shoes but they are careful to stay out of the ski tracks. Us skiers get cranky when the tracks are wrecked. I have seen people ski beyond the barrier, but I wouldn't recommend doing so. As previously stated, it is a high risk avalanche area and is closed for your own safety.
Sep 9th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, ShelliDawn. Shall try to ski in as far as the barrier, if we can hire equipment nearby.
Sep 9th, 2007, 08:26 PM

Finding a place to rent skis shouldn't be too difficult. I know that Wilson's in the little strip mall in Lake Louise Village rents cross-country (and downhill) equipment. I'm sure there's lots of places in Banff and Canmore as well.