Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Posthotel, Lake Louise, Banff National Park

Old Jul 31st, 2005, 01:22 AM
tveyez

We are staying @ the Posthotel in Lake Louise in the Banff National Park this winter. How far is the hotel from Lake Louise center. Coming from Europe, we will not have the benefit of a car. Is it easy to travel around from the Posthotel. Like going to eat to the Station in Lake Louise or the Fairmont hotel. Is Banff city far from the hotel? Are taxis expensive? Thx in advance.

Old Jul 31st, 2005, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only after I wrote a message to your question in Europe forum, I saw that you posted also here. So I copy here my answer, hoping to help:

We were in 2004 in Canadian Rockies with Tauck company and it was beautiful. We stayed at Fairmont hotels in Lake Luoise and in Banff and eat there. You should go to visit these hotels and to have at least a breakfast at Lake Louise. The view from there is incredible!

The lake Louise changes the colors and you see like in a mirrors the mountains in it very early in the morning at sunrise. We had an early wake-up just to see this. We saw this from our windows and we saw a lot of people near the lake just walking and watching, at 4 o'clock. It is a n experience not to be missed!

Also, visit Banff Fairmont - it is like a real castle!

Old Jul 31st, 2005, 07:57 AM

Hello tveyez,

There are shuttle buses that take visitors from Calgary Airport to Banff and Lake Louise. Once visitors are in Banff or Lake Louise, there are shuttle buses that take them between the two towns and amongst the three ski hills in the area (Sunshine, Norquay and Lake Louise).

I've never used the buses. I live in Calgary. When my family and I go to the mountains, we use our own vehicle. However, I've seen the shuttle buses ferrying people about.

Lake Louise is a very small village. The Post Hotel is on the edge of the village, certainly within walking distance of the centre of the village. I've always driven to the Station Restaurant, which is on the edge of the village in another direction. I'm trying to visualize what it would be like to walk from the Post Hotel to the Station Restaurant, especially in winter. I consider it to be do-able.

The lake of Lake Louise, along with Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, is 5 km (3 miles) from the village of Lake Louise. There is a taxi service in Lake Louise village. I've read on another travel discussion board that, if you use it to go between the village and the lake of Lake Louise, it is reasonably priced.

Banff townsite and Lake Louise village are about 50 minutes' drive from each other.

They build an ice castle on the lake in front of Chateau Lake Louise in winter. They keep a section of the lake smooth for ice skating. They decorate the tall coniferous trees in front of the hotel with coloured lights. They have horse drawn sleigh rides along the lakeshore path during the day and in the evening. The inside of Chateau Lake Louise is decked out with many traditional holiday decorations, such as beautiful gingerbread houses, etc. If you go on a sleigh ride at night and look back at the lit up hotel, it is magical.

All of that notwithstanding, I think Banff has more to offer in winter than Lake Louise does.

When I go to the mountains in the summer, Lake Louise and Jasper are my preferred destinations. At that time of year, I want to find peace and relaxation, and I want to feel close to nature. That is more easily achieved in the village of Lake Louise and the small town of Jasper.

In winter, however, things are reversed. In that case, I appreciate more indoor space in a hotel, and I appreciate a selection of indoor activities (a larger variety of restaurants, etc.). That is what the somewhat larger town of Banff can deliver.

Although Lake Louise is a fairy tale place, in winter it holds my interest for a couple of nights and no more.

But I should qualify that by saying that I don't ski. If I did ski, it would be different. My brother, who does ski, stayed at Lake Louise for about a week, and loved it.

So I guess it depends how long you'll be in the Canadian Rockies, why you're visiting them, etc.

I have never stayed at the Post Hotel, but everyone I know who has stayed there has raved about it. I believe it is a very charming property indeed.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:19 AM
tveyez

Thanks to both of you for your answers that are helpful. Going to dinner (or maybe according to you, Valtor, for breakfast to enjoy the panorama) in Lake Louise Fairmont hotel is in our list of to do things in the Rockies.
Our primary goal is to enjoy 10 days of winter sports: skiing above all but I would like to try snowshowing and maybe dog sled riding, depending upon tariffs. Does anybody know how much such activities cost?
Do you, Judy, think we will be bored after 10 days?

We take a ski holidays for one week every year (Zermatt, St Anton and Klosters-Davos were our previous destinations) and we can't wait to try the world-renown Canadian snow.

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:48 AM

>>>Do you, Judy, think we will be bored after 10 days?<<<

Yes.

I've never been to Zermatt, St Anton and Klosters-Davos, so I don't have a basis for comparison, at least not from personal experience.

An Internet search suggests that Lake Louise's population is no more than a quarter of the size of that of Zermatt, a bit less than half the size of that of St Anton, and about a third the size of that of Klosters-Davos.

Don't get me wrong. Lake Louise has gorgeous scenery, and the skiing there is excellent.

But Lake Louise doesn't have a town with many restaurants and pubs that are independent of those in the eight or so hotels that are there. The Station Restaurant is the only upscale restaurant that I can think of that is independent. There are no independent pubs that I know of.

The village of Lake Louise has five or so hotels in it. The lake of Lake Louise is about 5 km away. About half way from the village to the lake there is Paradise Lodge and Bungalows. At the lake itself are large, imposing Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, and smaller, quaint Deer Lodge.

Chateau Lake Louise has a number of excellent restaurants in it, and Deer Lodge also has an excellent restaurant. But none of them is within walking distance of the Post Hotel.

I've never been into Paradise Lodge and Bungalows, and I don't know if it has a restaurant. But, regardless of whether or not it has a restaurant, it too is not within walking distance of the Post Hotel.

Within the village of Lake Louise, the Station Restaurant and the Post Hotel's restaurant are excellent.

But is that enough variety for 10 days? No, in my opinion it is not.

If all the statistics that I'm finding on the Internet are correct, Banff townsite's population is slightly bigger than that of Zermatt. In addition to the restaurants in its hotels, Banff also has independent restaurants and pubs.

I personally think it would be better to be based in Banff, and visit Lake Louise rather than to be based in Lake Louise and visit Banff.

As I said before, I have not been to Zermatt, St Anton and Klosters-Davos. From what I have seen of Europe, however, the distances amongst European towns are smaller than the distances amongst Western Canadian towns.

I tried to give you a sense of Lake Louise's population size, but that is not the only factor to take into consideration.

In addition to the fact that it's a small village, it's also quite far from any other amenities. The nearest town to the southeast is Banff, which is a 50-minute drive away. About half an hour away, to the west, is the hamlet of Field, British Columbia (about 250 people). To get to a town of an appreciable size, you need to drive an hour west of Lake Louise to Golden, BC. Golden is bigger than Klosters-Davos, but smaller than Zermatt. Jasper, which is about Zermatt's size, is 3 hours' drive to the north. Radium Hot Springs is about 1.75 hours to the southwest.

I suppose those distances are somewhat irrelevant to you, because you won't have a car, and you won't be driving anywhere. But I feel that will only add to your sense of isolation.

If you base yourselves in Banff, you can buy a Tri Area Lift Ticket that will give you access to the skiing at three different ski resorts : Norquay, Sunshine and Lake Louise. You can buy a version of the Tri Area Lift Ticket that includes shuttle buses to and from the slopes.

That's just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Please let me emphasize that everything I've said in this discussion thread pertains to winter. In summer I personally prefer Lake Louise over Banff.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 01:05 AM
tveyez

Thx Judy for your help. I do not know what to think yet. Sometimes you are so tired after a day of skiing that the only thing that you want is a quick bite to eat in the hotel find the way to your bed......

Old Aug 4th, 2005, 01:45 AM

The Hotels in Lake Louise and Banff are no skiin-/skiout hotels. You have to take the skibus (if you do not rent a car) to reach the lift station and the slopes.

There are big restaurants on the mountains, which offer self service food. But there are no small huts like in Alps.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 05:06 AM

Tom is correct about ski-in/ski-out facilities. The only ski-in/ski-out hotel that I know of in the Alberta Rockies is at Sunshine.

I've never been to Whistler, but I understand there are plenty of ski-in/ski-out properties there.

I've been to Panorama in British Columbia's Kootenay-Rockies in summer, not in winter. However, it is a ski-in/ski-out resort.

Fernie, BC is a ski-in/ski-out resort as well.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 07:35 AM

We skiied the area many years ago. Lake Louise is a beautiful place to ski---the vistas from the hills are spectacular.

We also enjoyed skiing Sunshine. It was my first time skiing a bowl.

We visited in March. The weather was great---several of the skiiers had sunburned faces. It is avalanche season but earlier in the season, it can really be cold. All the trails are in safe areas.

Several of the skiiers in our group did a heli skiing trip. They loved that--too scary for me.

We stayed in Banff---we were on a fabulously cheap package offered to ski clubs. It included a car. Are you sure you don't want to rent a car? Driving is not difficult and the roads were always clear. There are some nice places to drive to in the area.

I remember one afternoon, after 4 days of skiing, my legs were just too tired to ski. I left my husband to ski and drove out to Emerald Lake Lodge, Takkakaw Falls, and the train tunnel. It was a nice break.

We stayed in Banff. I'm sure we stayed there because it was cheaper. After skiing all day though, I don't need much nightlife. We have never stayed at the Post Hotel but it looks lovely.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:01 AM

The location of the Post Hotel wouldn't be my choice for ten days with no car! Maybe split your time between it and some other place.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 12:25 AM
godspeed

I understand that the Posthotel actually organizes every hour a free guests-shuttle from the hotel to the Lake Louise's slopes / lifts.

I was looking myself to stay there. Did any of you enjoy a stay there. Was it a relaxing experience. Does anybody try their new spa? According to their prices, it looks exclusive.....

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 01:24 AM
godspeed

Another question for April. It would not be your choice for 10 days with respect to the hotel itself or its location in Lake Louise?

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 09:44 AM
sockboy

I too would suggest staying in Banff in the winter. Especailly without a car. From Banff you can access all of the ski hills (including Lake Louise), and have a multitude of dining options. The Hot Springs in Banff are great in the winter. Banff also provides shopping and walking opportunities right in town. Allocate one of your days for a sidetrip by bus to Lake Louise itself and the Fairmont Hotel.

I have stayed in Lake Louise without a car, and it is quite frustrating, even in the summer. There are no sidewalks, you wander along the side of the road. In the winter it can actually be quite dangerous as snow is piled up on the shoulder, leaving you very little space to walk without actually being on the road. Combine this with slippery conditions and a short walk can be quite hairy!

Banff is a real town, with schools and grocery stores and houses, and sidewalks. Lake Louise is not. It is really only a resort of a handfull of hotes. People who live in Lake Louise all live in "staff housing" provided by the Hotels or Parks Canada, you can't buy a house there.

I really don't think you would enjoy a stay in Lake Louise in the winter without a car. Banff would make for a great 10 days though. Try to stay somewhere with a fireplace - tha Banff Springs is magical in the winter.

So long as you use them just "in town", both Banff and Lake Louise taxis are very affordable. Lake Louise has a flat rate for any in town runs, they don't even have meters. I would think that taking a taxi from LL to Banff, or vise versa, would be quite pricy though.

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 01:58 AM
godspeed

Talking about the Posthotel, has anybody stayed there. Any preferences in terms of rooms or cabins? Are all the cabins worth the price?

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 11:30 AM

We just returned from a stay at the Post and loved it - excellent service and ambiance. Get the "preferred side" room and you will have a beautiful view of the river. We cannot speak for the cabins because we did not rent one, but the cabins are at a great location right on the river
The hotel is a short walk across a footbridge to shopping, there is a good bakery/deli and some other shops at the the foot of the bridge.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 08:23 PM

We stayed four nights in July at the Paradise Lodge and ate at reccommended local places. We quickly tired of eatting out and were glad to have a kitchen to cook in, although one must drive to Banff for supplies. The grocery in Lake Louise was very limited. Loved the bakery for breakfast and lunch! Breakfast at the Chateau Lake Louise was relaxing, but not the best breakfast of our trip!
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 10:00 PM

godspeed:
I meant that it would not be my choice because of the location (without the use of a car). The hotel itself looks lovely, but I have not stayed there. I also liked the look of the Paradise Lodge.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 12:20 AM
godspeed

Thanks Sockboy, April, Tdelony and CLynne.

Does anybody know how much the shuttle costs from Calgary airport to Lake Louise and back for 2 people?

I was thinking to rent a cabin at the Posthotel. TDelony, have you seen the Posthotel's spa? How does it look and feel?

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 05:40 AM

I just looked up the rate for one of the shuttle services - Rocky Mountain Sky Shuttle. In winter, round trip for Lake Louise is $99 CAN for each adult. See:http://www.rockymountainskyshuttle.com/winter.html
There are several other shuttles, too. Just do a Google search for "Calgary Airport transport."
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 11:39 AM

To Godspeed, regarding the Post Hotel Spa...
I used the pool/spa several times and loved it. It is indoors, brightly lit with natural light, modern, and spotless. They have a steamroom also. There is a small but adequate workout room. I did not use the spa services such as massage, etc. so I cannot comment on these.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -