Montreal, when is a good time to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. We have been to Montreal 5 years ago. We stayed for 4 days, it was New Years Weekend. We LOVED the city, unfortunately it was snowing so heavy, and oh so cold! (although I should be used to it..I live in NJ)

So, between now and the end of Dec. is there any special times we should go, or is there any festivals? I believe we missed the Jazz festival

Thanks for all your help!!

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 04:44 AM

Although Montreal is always fun, I do enjoy it more when you can comfortably stroll around, and dine outside. Winters are brutally cold (makes NJ feel like Florida!), but we still have fun scooting from one place to another in the howling wind. Of course the underground 'city' is always an option if the weather is bone chillingly cold. Sometime in mid winter is the festival of lights, which can be fun. There is also a winter carnival out on the island with ice sculptures, and lots of activites for kids. I've never been, but I suppose the Christmas season would be great in Montreal. However, if you really want to enjoy the city go within the next few weeks, or wait until spring.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:41 AM

I would say that till mid november, it's possible to walk around suitably protected from the elements; it rarely snows abundantly before that, if it does it melts.

Winter activities/carnavals are usually in february.
The old port/old montreal has winter activities, sleigh rides, etc... around the holidays but it's always dependent on the winter, we never know how bad/good it will be.

Last winter was a mild one; if I recall, too mild for the Snow Festival, the ice sculptures melted.

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 06:27 AM

September and October is a good time to visit Mtl. Starting soon, the color display of the maple trees will be spectacular on Mont Royal.
The Jardin botanique is a must too.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 10:38 AM

between midnight and 5AM I would think would be a good time to miss traffic!