Montreal in January.

Nov 28th, 2003, 01:41 PM
rcc
Original Poster

Montreal in January.

I've never been in Montreal during the winter.
I need to use-up a couple of vacation days plus a weekend and I'm looking for a North American city that has European flair while using-up the lowest FF mileage requiement.

I'm planning on staying in a downtown hotel (Sofitel, or any other suggestion for the same type) and I wonder if the extreme winter weather (e.g. excessive snow or extreme cold temperature) will be a royal-pain-in-the-you-know-what and make walking around downtown and even taking a day bus tour of the city miserable.
Thanks.
Nov 28th, 2003, 04:08 PM
BAK

Some winter days are awful, but it's not all bad.

There's lots of tunnels you can walk in, and after you get out into the cold, lots of bars and coffee shops to come into to warm up. Plus stores, galleries, etc.

Montreal does not close in the winter: come on up.

That said, my wife lived for a week in a corprote boardroom when the power was out, warm and comfy courtesty of giant emmergency generators. She was lucky, because most people were shivering in school gyms.

But it will probably be nice for your visit.

BAK
Nov 28th, 2003, 09:55 PM

I'm a US citizen who has lived in Montreal for about 6 1/2 years of my life.

I truly love the city and it's still quite a vibrant place even at the peak of winter. However while I certainly try to enjoy life in January even with the best winter coat, a thick scarf and hat, I find I don't like being outside for all that long a time. It's just uncomfortable after a bit. While there are tunnels and the metro is very efficient, at times one needs to go outside. And who necessarily wants to be inside all the time on a vacation? You might enjoy it, but there are a number of people who really don't.

Montreal certainly has a bit of the European flair relative to much of the North American continent that I've seen, but maybe you'd prefer to go somewhere a bit warmer... Ideas: New Orleans/Charleston (history)? Miami Beach (some Euro-influenced party scenes)? Nassau, Bahamas (British colonial architecture)? None of these of course are European in feel but maybe more so than where you're coming from...

Good luck deciding! DAN
Nov 29th, 2003, 07:34 AM

January in Montreal could beextremely windy and cold or worse wet.
Nov 29th, 2003, 02:52 PM

Hi rcc:

I've been to Montreal a couple of times in January. Believe me, it is bitterly cold. I'm from Toronto, it can get cold here in January, but not anywhere as bad as Montreal. I would re-think your plan and enjoy Montreal when the temperatures are not going to be a "royal-pain-in-the-you-know-what"
Dec 10th, 2003, 03:18 PM

Montreal doesn't get that much snow in the winter anymore but it's bitterly cold. The weather starts to warm up in March. If you're willing to bundlle up, you should enjoy your vacation.