Montreal Sunday Brunch

Jun 8th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Montreal Sunday Brunch

I will be travelling to Montreal next month for the annual Comedy Festival. This will be the first time that I will be staying over on a Sunday while visiting Montreal and would like to take advantage of any wonderful Sunday brunches that the city has to offer. I know of many fine restaurants and try to to sample a few different ones each year, however would like some suggestions on any places that stick out with brunch being the main focus. Good food, atmosphere, with price being of no real concern. Thanks for any assistance in this matter.
Jun 8th, 2005, 11:00 AM

Probably not the answer you were looking for - but Cora's (several locations in the area) has great breakfasts (especially the crepes).

However, this is more of a diner-style atmosphere...I get the impression you were looking for something a bit more upscale.
Jun 9th, 2005, 07:47 AM

Here are a few of my favourites (pretty reasonably-priced in my opinion):

1) Vaudeville (near Bernard & Parc, 80 BUS from Place des Arts downtown or metro OUTREMONT): white tableclothes and white curtains; a basket of tasty fresh pastries awaits you while you decide what you want. Cozy. Owner George friendly, knows me by name now.

2) Petit Alep (METRO: de Castelnau) Syrian resto near the Jean-Talon market, serves mamounie and innovative brunches with sometimes Syrian influence.

3)Aux Vivres (near Villeneuve, St. Laurent; METRO: Mont-Royal): Vegan restaurant always innovative, healthy, tasty. I always go with their brunch special; different every time I go... love their tofu scrapple. It's a kind of cooperative; expect Bohemian, humanist, lefty ambience. Good fun.

4) Sala Rosa (St. Laurent near St. Joseph, Metro: LAURIER): again, bohemian ambience in Spanish Cultural Centre building. Like their huevos rancheros and Tofu Sala Rosa.

5) Le Pistou (on de la Roche, just below Mont-Royal, Metro: MONT-ROYAL): cozy brunch place popular with Plateau Quebecois crowd; plenty of ambience. Innovative egg dishes with fun names.

Jun 10th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

I have eaten at Cora and agree that the crepes are outstanding. However I did want to try something a bit more upscale. Maybe something with live jazz also playing while you eat. Daniel those choices all seem interesting and I would probably be most likely willing to try Le Pistou or Vaudeville going by your descriptions. Do you know if any of the downtown hotels offer Sunday brunch ie: Ritz Carlton of Hotel Vogue. Thanks for all your help, besides I cant remember the last time I had a bad meal in Montreal over the last 20 years of travelling up there!
Jun 11th, 2005, 05:12 PM

Having stayed at the Vogue dozens of times on business, I can tell you that the food is generally awful. It is the one flaw in the hotel, made bearable by the fact that there are so many other great restaurants nearby. I'd be surprised if Sunday brunch were any better than their regular breakfast but I've never tried it.

The Queen Elizabeth hotel has a good breakfast/brunch (a buffet with other a la carte options), and I think they have a harpist. You might want to check that out. I think that the Ritz and the Hotel Nelligan both do brunches, but I've never eaten there.
Jun 12th, 2005, 08:39 AM

another possibility: the mt. stephen club sunday brunch.
the $42 cdn price includes the brunch and house tour (if desired) with live classical music in a beautiful 1800's era mansion now owned by the club.
hours: 11 am to 2 pm.
located at 1440 drummond st.
possible downside: no jeans, flip-flops, etc.
stunning architecture inside and out.
phone: 514-849-7338 (need res.)

Jun 12th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

I will be staying at the Sheraton Centre which is on corner of Rene Levesque and Drummond, is the Stephen Club near that end of Drummond? Is the food very good with how many choices or specialties? Is it really a club of sorts or open to general public as I would suspect by your recommendation. Thank you all for your help It is beginning to look like I will have several choices to make for my meal which is nothing new for any meal in Montreal.