montreal shopping

Oct 15th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

montreal shopping

Does anyone have any shopping tips for Montreal? I've heard about the underground city and I am wondering if the best bargains are above or below ground? Thanks, Jim
Oct 15th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Hi
I looove to shop in Montreal. I go to as many stores as possible, the best bargains in my view have been in Aug when the summer sales hit..
My favorite stores:
Holt Renfrew
Ogilvies
all the shops along rue Sherbrook
along rue St Denis
along Catherine St
The underground is nice, but I never found anything for myself, but that might be just me~
Have a great time!
Oct 15th, 2004, 02:12 PM

Hello Jmack,

I don't usually point this out to visitors to Canada. Most of them don't stay long enough or purchase enough to make it worth their while to do the paperwork. But, if there's a chance you'll make quite substantial purchases in Montreal, this may be worth thinking about.

As a non-resident, you can get a refund of the 7% Goods and Services Tax (GST) that you've spent on some of your expenses in Canada.

This is not as good a deal as it sounds. When you read the fine print, you discover there are limitations.

The refund applies mainly to the GST on your hotel bills and the GST on purchases that you've made in Canada that you take out of the country with you.

Some of the limitations are:

* You have to submit original receipts. Canada Revenue Agency does not accept photocopies, debit card slips or credit card slips.

* The total of your purchase amounts (before taxes) must be at least C$200.

* Each receipt for eligible goods must show a minimum total purchase amount (before taxes) of C$50. So, if you're making several small purchases, you're better off making all of them in one store and paying for all of them at the same time.

* You have to prove that you are exporting or have exported the goods you purchased in Canada. This means that you have to go to the relevant counter at the airport or border crossing from which you depart Canada, while you still have your luggage with you, and have an official stamp each of the receipts that you will be submitting with your claim form.

As I understand it, you then have the option of submitting the claim form, along with relevant receipts, right there at the point of departure or of mailing the claim form and receipts from home.

* The refund does not apply to the GST on vehicle rentals, gasoline, meals, entertainment.

A cautionary note:

* You'll find GST refund application forms in places that display tourist brochures. Beware of those forms. They don't go directly to the Canadian government. Rather, they go to a private company that submits the application on your behalf and takes a cut of the refund.

You're better off downloading and printing the government's own Application for Visitor Tax Refund form at:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/gf/gst176/gst176-03e.pdf

I've heard that the refund cheque (check) takes about six weeks to arrive, but the good news is that Canada Revenue Agency sends a cheque in your home currency.

I think I've covered the bases, but you can check it out at:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/gf/gst176/README.html
Oct 15th, 2004, 03:38 PM

Simons is a great favourite with Montrealers and visitors alike. While boarding our flight back to Toronto last Monday we saw grey Simons bags comprising part of many passengers' carry on. It is on Ste. Catherine Street.
Oct 15th, 2004, 04:08 PM

Yes! how could I forget Simons! I got great scarves and gloves for Christmas gifts one year at Simons.
sigh, I need to visit Montreal
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:35 AM

Just returned from MTL last week, I am a torontonian. Simmons(simons) rocks and the prices are so great, I guess the stuff is made in the city.
Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:44 PM

Last time I was in Montreal, I bought a hand made pine armoir from Le ver a bois on 3932 St. Denis (Duluth & St. Denis area). Even when you factor in the cost of shipping to Toronto, it was still a good deal.
Oct 23rd, 2004, 09:16 AM

When I visited Montreal the last time, the hotel desk clerk told me about the manufacturing district where on certain weekends one can buy direct from the manufacturers. I scored two major bargains buying winter coats which retail in the US for twice what I paid. Ask at your hotel for directions and dates.

Search this Thread