Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto: Any thoughts about these 2 locations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Some of you may recall I was debating about which cities to visit last July - Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto. I decided on Montreal and Ottawa and left Toronto for another visit.

Finally, I'm going to Toronto in May (May 18 to May 26)! Yay. I'm so excited to visit the city. I've heard great, great things about it and cannot wait to explore.

Since I'll be spending 8 nights in Toronto, I decided to look into renting an apartment instead of a hotel. I found 2 places. One through VRBO and the other through Home Away.com. The one through VRBO is located at King & Yonge St.. The one through Home Away.com is located in downtown with only this vague description: Steps to Yonge St and Subway Station (train).

The VRBO is $1,104 USD for 8 nights and the Home Away place is $939 CAN for the entire stay (about $165 difference). I've connected with the VRBO owner about another property (the Jazz Studio), but was offered this place due to my original choice being booked for my dates.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. From what I can tell they both seem to be in a place where all the action happens - restaurants, shops, etc. which is what I like.

TR
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 06:39 AM

king and yonge is in the middle of the financial district - which isn't a bad thing, but it's hectic during the day (during the week), on weekends it's a bit of a ghost town and very few of the stores / restaurants are open...

but, it's a great location for exploring from as you are right on the subway line to head north and south, and you are right on the streetcar line going east and west...

the vagueness of the second location would make me nervous (steps to subway and yonge st downtown could be just about anywhere depending on someone's view of downtown).

i'd pay the difference and stay at king and yonge.

have a great trip...
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks JMWF. My initial reaction was the apartment at King and Yonge). The owner seemed really nice (via email) and the comments I read about another place she manages/owns seem to speak highly of her.

TR
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 08:57 AM

What is the actual address of the one @ King & Yonge?
There are lots of restaurants/stores in the downtown area that are open on the weekend. Don't know hat JMWF means.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 09:03 AM

JMWF, did you mean the stores @ First Canadian Place? I think all but Harry Rosen are closed on Saturday.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 09:29 AM

the entire path is pretty much closed on weekends, lots of the restaurants in the area are not open. it's not really a bad thing, it's just a thing.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

@OceanBreeze1: An exact address has not be provided yet. From the map I received, it looks like it's very, very close to the King Subway stop. It looks like Victoria Street is very close as well.

TR
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 11:04 AM

It's probably One King West.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 03:57 PM

Also keep in mind that Monday May 24 is a holiday, Victoria Day, when many shops will be closed. The Eaton Centre will be open, as well as most restaurants and tourist attractions.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 04:38 PM

QSJ, very good point about "May Two Four Weekend"!
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 05:43 PM

If the property is One King West, its a great facility... but they don't own the parking ramp... if you have a car it can be very pricy...
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

@QSJ: Yes, I saw that Victoria Day will occur during my stay in Toronto.

@garyt: I'm not going to have a car. I was able to find a decent fare from Boston to Toronto on Air Canada so I decided to go that route instead of the 9 hour drive by car.

Thank you all for your responses. It feels good to have some assurance from those that know the area. Now, I need to start thinking about what I want to do while I'm there.

TR
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 04:16 AM

I don't agree either that downtown is a ghost town on the weekends - there are a LOT of condos downtown now and businesses and restaurants that cater to those living in them all week - yes, the stores in the PATH are mostly closed but stores along Yonge, the St. Lawrence Market (closed Sundays and Mondays) and most restaurants and watering holes will be open. During the week, go for a walk in the PATH - it's 28 km - try to find your way around.

If you stay at King and Yonge, for shopping you're a couple of blocks or one subway stop from the Eaton Centre. West a few blocks walking or a streetcar ride are theatres, Roy Thomson Hall and a lot of restaurants and clubs. Rogers Centre for baseball is walking distance. A longer walk or streetcar will take you to the ferry docks for a 20 minute ride to the Islands and you're near Harbourfront when you're near the ferry docks which always has some event going on weekends.

May 24th weekend there will be likely be fireworks in the Beach - which is east from King and Yonge and probably something going on at Queen's Park (the provincial Parliament) or City Hall although they're ripping up the square there so maybe not this year.

http://www.seetorontonow.com/ - has all sorts of events listed.

Look for a NOW magazine box on the streets and elsewhere - it's free and has a daily events section.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 03:41 PM

You might also want to head down to Harbourfront -- a short transit ride away. If the weather is good, the waterfront will be hopping with activity. I'm sure there will be special activities laid on for the 24 weekend.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 07:08 PM

Only the actual financial district (Bay, King, University) will be quiet on weekends. The Market district and anything north of Queen Street will be busy. You don't want to be in the PATH anyway -- it's boring. In fact, because it's a holiday weekend, there will probably be stuff happening at Dundas Square. And yes, the St. Lawrence Market itself is closed on Sundays, as morningglory says (hi, mg!) but the north market is open with a fun antiques/flea market.

I'm one of those people who never leaves the city on a long weekend.
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions - esp. about things going on during the holiday weekend.

I've received a confirmation for my apartment rental and the place is located at 1 King Street W.

I've started to plan the trip. The confirmed things I'm doing so far are: Soccer match(between Toronto and the New England Revs) and a concert at Massey Hall - both are on Saturday. I'm planning on taking 2 day trips: Stratford and the Niagara Parks - mainly the Butterfly Conservatory.

I found a good guidebook and have been reading about the city so I'm really looking forward to visiting. I'm contemplating purchasing the City Pass (it's $59 USD for 5 major attractions). There is so much to do in Toronto that I must remember to take some time to rest!

TR