Reload this Page >

Montreal / Quebec City / Maritime provinces

Old Mar 18th, 2021, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Fodorites,

We were going to Italy last fall but was cancelled. Since we are not hopeful that it will be safe to travel to Europe this fall we decided to check out the two cities that offer some European flavor (keeping fingers crossed Canada will be welcoming visitors by Sept.); Montreal and Quebec City. And while we’re at it, see some of the highlights of NS, NB, and PEI. Why not. We are a (vaccinated) retired couple. We are interested in historical sites/buildings, enjoy natural scenery, hiking, culture, and local food, etc. I’ve done a fair amount of research and it appears that the trip will entail a lot of driving. We don’t really like 1-nt stays and going through the same routes twice, but it looks like these can’t be avoided. So we came up with the following itinerary. Your advice/comment(s) are much appreciated. Please let me know if we are short shrifting or wasting time on certain places.

Halifax 3nts/Lunenburg 1nt/long drive to Whycocomagh 1nt / Ingonish 1nt / Baddeck 2nts/ Take ferry to Charlottetown 2-3nts?/ Hopewell 1nt / Alma (Fundy NP) 1nt / St. John 1nt / Moncton 2nts / Miramichi 1nt / Long drive to Quebec City 4 nts / Train to Montreal 5 nts / Fly home

Why Whycocomagh? - short drive to Skyline Trail, Macintosh Brook and Lone Sheiling trailheads -we think we can do all three hikes in one day if we start early, and have time to drive to Ingonish.

Miramichi: overnight before or after spending a day at the Acadien historic village.

Where can we fit driving the Fundy Trailway Park? Pictures look amazing, we would very much like to drive through it.

If we were to break up the 7-hr drive from Miramichi to QC, where would be a good spot to spend the night?

Thank you!
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I looked at doing that part of Canada, it also seemed to involve a lot of driving. However, why don't you take the train from Moncton to Montreal?

See: https://www.seat61.com/montreal-to-halifax-by-train.htm
Old Mar 19th, 2021, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thursdaysd: Taking the train from Moncton would mean backtracking to QC, then taking the train back to Montreal again for our flight home, wouldn’t it? Thanks.
Old Mar 19th, 2021, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you check the link I posted you will see that a bus meets the train at Sainte Foy for a 30 minute drive to QC, but it is very early in the morning. Can't you fly home from QC? Or start the trip in QC and fly home from Halifax?
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 04:56 AM

Regarding PEI.....if you take the ferry consider visiting the Point Prim Lighthouse since you will drive past it on your way to Charlottetown. While at the lighthouse plan your visit near lunch or dinner and go to the Point Prim Chowder House.

http://pointprimlighthouse.com

Is located at the end of the Point Prim Road, 10.9km ( 8 miles) west of Belfast. Built in 1845, Point Prim is P.E.I.'s oldest lighthouse. It's also the only round lighthouse on P.E.I., and one of only a few in Canada that are round and made of brick. It's located at the southeastern entrance to Hillsborough Bay, and built to guide vessels into Charlottetown Harbor.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/p...ouse-1.4207475

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...rd_Island.html

Make sure you call the Chowder House and make a reservation; the place is small and fills fast. The food is wonderful we have been to it at least 8 times and never had a bad meal. If it is a nice day ask for an outside table. The views from the porch are just wonderful. As you travel down the road to the lighthouse and the Chowder House the road will change from blacktop to red clay PEI road, when this happens you are close to where you want to be.

On the road to Point Prime stop at Hannah's Bottle Village a very unusual place. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...rd_Island.html

Last edited by tlc195; Mar 20th, 2021 at 05:09 AM.
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 06:08 AM

If you want to experience some of the unique French/Canadian culture of Quebec, you might want to spend a night or two in the beautiful Eastern Townships, which are east of Montreal. About 2 dozen picturesque wineries, apple orchards, vast farms, small French speaking towns, hiking, and some of the best road biking trails anywhere. Look at fun little towns like Magog, Bromont or Sutton.
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 09:59 AM

Those eastern townships sounds delightful but my experience of Montreal is limited to 4 nights and 3 days and it was too short a time to see it all; I'd love to go back.

I suppose what I'm saying is don't give yourselves too little time in Montreal.
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 04:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
https://gem.cbc.ca/media/absolutely-...epage_shelfnew
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Cdnyul: Thank you for the link but it is not available to play outside of Canada.

tlc195: I made note of all your recommendations. I’ve read quite a few of your PEI suggestions on another thread. Thanks.

My research convinced me five nights will be just right for us.

Sorry for the delayed response. I have been unable to visit the thread due to a family emergency. Thank you all for the responses.
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 02:30 PM

Milaedg,

You may want to read this news link to give you the latest on what is going on the island.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island

It is part of my daily reading of what is going on in the world. I really hope the island is open to the USA in 21 but not counting on it
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 10:32 AM

My first impulse is that I can't sense a vibe that Canada will be widely open to outside visitors by September. It is a guessing game at best, and making big plans that wholly depend upon it seems rather bold.

But beyond that, if I were starting out in Miramichi and concerned about breaking-up the 7-hour trip to QC... I think I would instead drive the whole circuit of the Gaspe Peninsula and maybe stay at Rimouski... and then be sure to drive through some of the local townships along the St. Lawrence, which means getting OFF of the faster freeway and driving through the local towns parallel to the river.

It is hard for me to get completely into "travel suggestions" mode after all of this time, but if you click on my name you'd find lots of threads started by others and regarding travel in the Canadian Maritimes, and plenty of good ideas within them.

Old Apr 7th, 2021, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks NorthWest. I have actually read quite a few of your recommendations on other threads. I have not booked anything but I would like to be ready to book flights/hotels when Canada opens up.