Montreal/Quebec city

Old Jan 9th, 2020, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Montreal/Quebec city

For our first time in this area, We have 7 nights to stay. We are thinking it would be cheaper and easier to stay in Montreal for the whole week. We are a group of 7. However, we want to see Quebec City and the falls for sure. We will have a car, but prefer to use public transportation with the city. Is it realistic to do Quebec City as a day trip? Any suggestions on the logistics?
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 07:20 AM

I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions on this. The drive from Montreal to QC is 3 hours long and boring. It would be far better in my opinion to do an overnight in Quebec City so you are not so rushed and tired. Quebec City is very unique and beautiful and deserves more than a day trip, especially when you have the luxury of a 7 day trip.
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 08:00 AM

However, we want to see Quebec City and the falls for sure
What "falls" do you mean? If you mean Niagara Falls, no, that is not doable as a day trip (7 hours from Montreal each way). Also, not worth the time in my opinion, but that's a different issue.

We were in Montreal and Quebec City last summer and although we liked Montreal more than Quebec, both are definitely worth a visit. I think you can do it as a day trip so long as you leave quite early and plan to return late. Get to Quebec by 10 or 11 in the morning, and plan on not leaving before dinnertime. (That's not to say overnight wouldn't be better, of course)
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks

Thank you for your responses. I meant the Montmorency Falls. I think we should spend at least one night in Quebec City. We like a relaxing vacation.

Originally Posted by sf7307 View Post
What "falls" do you mean? If you mean Niagara Falls, no, that is not doable as a day trip (7 hours from Montreal each way). Also, not worth the time in my opinion, but that's a different issue.

We were in Montreal and Quebec City last summer and although we liked Montreal more than Quebec, both are definitely worth a visit. I think you can do it as a day trip so long as you leave quite early and plan to return late. Get to Quebec by 10 or 11 in the morning, and plan on not leaving before dinnertime. (That's not to say overnight wouldn't be better, of course)
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by zootsi View Post
The drive from Montreal to QC is 3 hours long and boring.

NOT if you have the common sense that is to get off the main highway and drive through the small towns along the St. Lawrence.

It takes longer, but that's the right move.

As to the OP... I wouldn't do QC as a mere day trip. It's fun to be more immersed in French everything as you are in QC, where Montreal has so much English all around that you don't get the full effect.

(and the smaller places in between the two might really offer you some workable French immersion.
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Great advice

Thank you for the advice. Definitely more fun to see the little towns along the way.

Originally Posted by NorthwestMale View Post
NOT if you have the common sense that is to get off the main highway and drive through the small towns along the St. Lawrence.

It takes longer, but that's the right move.

As to the OP... I wouldn't do QC as a mere day trip. It's fun to be more immersed in French everything as you are in QC, where Montreal has so much English all around that you don't get the full effect.

(and the smaller places in between the two might really offer you some workable French immersion.
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 10:36 AM

We actually liked Québec City a little more than Montréal (although both were great). I think two nights in QC would be good. I am doing a trip report now on Canada forum (might give you somer hints), and am about to finish Montréal portion. Next up will be QC. We spent five nights (four full days) in Montréal and four nights (3 1/2 days in QC). Thought that was great. We took train from Montréal to QC, and drove partway along Chemin du Roy (King's Road) from QC to Montréal airport the day we left Canada. Do not miss Montmorency Falls (totally worth the time). Have fun! Beautiful part of the world.