MONTREAL or QUEBEC?

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 11:56 AM
AMALLARY

MONTREAL or QUEBEC?

WE HAVE ONE WEEK END OF MAY .WHICH CITY IS MORE FUN TO WALK, SHOP, AND EAT.THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE ,AVIVA

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 07:42 PM
Donna

All depends upon what you find more appealing. Highly recommend a look at the Colour Guide to Montreal and Quebec City - decide for yourself.

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 07:43 PM
Tara

Right on. Everyone seems to strongly prefer one or the other. All depends upon what you mean by "fun", too.

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 11:51 AM
Liz

Just got back from my first trip to Montreal yesterday. I would highly recommend Quebec. I hate to say it, but Montreal was boring and not very pretty. I will say it has excellent restaurants and I should give it the benefit of the doubt since we went during the ugliest time of the year. I would spend two days tops in Montreal. Quebec is quite small, but the surrounding areas are beautiful (but rural and you may not want that). I guess I was dissapointed in the shopping, 70's inspired architecture and the general messiness of the city (graffiti, garbage in the street). I saw so many mattresses in the street I thought it might be a spring cleaning custom!!

Hate to sound negative, the people were nice and the B&B we stayed at was wonderful (Auberge de la Fontaine). You might have better luck in the summer.

I am sure I would get hate mail for this so not leaving my real email!

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 12:30 PM
Steve

It depends on how much you want to travel -Quebec City is about 2 - 3 hours north of Montreal. Quebec is very quaint and old in parts, but much more of a tourist spot than I expected -I thought for sure I would find more non english speaking people there! If you are just going for the weekend, Montreal will give you plenty to do. Walk around the old town by the river. There is much to see and do. They have really improved the area over the past 10+ years. At night go to St. Catherine Rue (Street) where all the restuarants and bars/clubs are. There are also many stores. If you can, stay in the city between the old town and St Catherine Rue. Then you can just walk or take the subway, which is very safe and inexpensive. If you have time, go up town to check out the Olympic stadium, and the botamical gardens across the street.

Old May 1st, 2000, 03:36 PM
Diane

Depends a lot on what you want, and what your interests are. We stayed in both over Christmas vacation. Our 18 and 22 year old kids loved the club scene and the trendy shopping in Montreal. We preferred the quaint streets and picturesque qualities of Quebec City. Restaurants in both cities were fantastic and all four of us agreed on that!

Old May 2nd, 2000, 09:14 AM
Daniel Williams

I am always blown away when I read that some tourists find Montreal boring. Having lived in Montreal for 5 years (I'm American), I can honestly say that I find it one of the LEAST boring cities of the world. There is a vitality that you find in the air, a "joie de vivre", a creative, futuristic energy that you don't see in many cities on the continent. The shopping/fashions are exceptional and reasonable (Liz, where did you shop???), restaurants superlative, nightlife pulsating and varied. For those who like people-watching while sipping cafés on a terrasse, Montréal is fabulous.

I will admit that for outdoor activities, I would say other cities do have more, but Ile Sainte-Helene and Mont-Royal are quite lovely.

I often wonder where people go who find Montreal dull. Rene Levesque Blvd.? (What was the weather like when you went, Liz?) I only wish I could point people in the right direction!

As for Montreal being dirty, Liz is right...tourists be warned, Montreal is not as spic-and-span as some other cities (Toronto, Ottawa). But I do find it cleaner that more than a few American/European cities (London, NYC, Paris).

Old May 6th, 2000, 07:22 PM
Katie

Montreal - boring? Never! I daresay, Quebec City would have been just as boring to you perhaps. If you returned yesterday, Liz, perhaps you missed the blooming bulbs everywhere. Did you happen along rue St-Denis (right around the corner from the Auberge), ave McGill College (with magnificent modern buildings), rue Crescent, rue Laurier? Did you peek inside Notre Dame? Breathtaking! Again, rue Laurier, rue St-Denis, along with ave Green, rue St-Catherine, rue Sherbrooke, are fabulous for shopping, just to mention a few. On purchases over $50 you get all the taxes refunded. The underground is magnificent for shopping as well. Did you visit any of the markets? The Musee des Beaux Arts? Take in a show at Place des Arts? What was playing at Molson Center during your visit? Then, there are the fabulous jazz venues. And, the nightclubs. Music and people watching par excellence! Did you venture around Vieux Montreal? Best time to go to Montreal is late June/early July when the International Fireworks Competition and Jazz Festival are both underway. But, there is almost always an appealing festival going on in Montreal. I cannot imagine anyone finding Montreal boring and not very pretty. We visit any chance we get - any time of year. And, this is a REAL screenname and address.

Old May 11th, 2000, 06:28 PM
Andre

Amallary,
If you like to see a little New-York, no problem, Montreal is the good place. On St-Catherine St, on each block, there is a guy to ask you for change. If you want discover the old France, Quebec is the best. Good restaurants, clubs everything you like. About the language, don't worry, most of peoples will understand your english and you will undertand their englis.