Reload this Page >

MONTREAL OR QUEBEC

Search

MONTREAL OR QUEBEC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 01:42 PM
JENA

MONTREAL OR QUEBEC

I AM TRAVELING TO QUEBEC IN JUNE FOR 3 NIGHTS. I WOULD LIKE TO STAY AT THE SAME HOTEL AND NOT SWITCH BACK AND FORTH. WOULD IT BE BETTER TO STAY IN MONTREAL WITH A DAY TRIP TO QUEBEC OR VICE VERSA?

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 02:22 PM
Daniel Williams

Hi Jena <BR> <BR>I'll be frank with you on this one. My brother and sister-in-law visited me in Montreal a few years back and we took a day trip to Quebec City, 150 miles away and a two-and-a-half hour drive. It was a nice day, but my brother and his wife ended up not really getting to appreciate the magnificence of Quebec City because we were way too rushed and anxious about the ride home (plus we all wanted to take a nap after lunch). It would be the same for sure in the reverse going to Montreal for a few hours. Either spend one night in Q.C. (or Montreal) or don't go to the second city at all and just thoroughly enjoy one of the two cities. <BR> <BR>My thought. DAN

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 04:52 PM
AnneMarie

I have to say that I think Quebec City is one of the most beautiful cities in North America, if not the world. It is clean, quaint, romantic and reasonable. It is an overlooked jewel. Go and see if you agree.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 05:45 AM
Normand W. Guay

Quebec is truly one of the most charming cities in the world. My wife and I go to the belle province at least 2 or 3 times per year. If I had to chose between both cities we would pick Quebec. Its the closest to being in Europe.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Daniel Williams

Hi again <BR> <BR>I agree with the previous posters about Quebec City being a beautiful, charming, civilized and passionate place. That's why I think a rushed day trip from Montreal won't do it justice. I remember sitting out on the Plains of Abraham on a pleasant spring day and people were outside maybe picnicking, maybe playing hackeysack, maybe playing a ballad on the guitar to a group of friends, all with the gorgeous backdrop of the Saint Lawrence River/Old Quebec...it was this joie de vivre that makes me want to move back to Quebec province. <BR> <BR>Equally I don't think a rushed day trip to Montreal would do that city close to justice either. Montreal, complex and decidedly cosmopolitan, is a dynamic city with some of the best nightlife, restaurants, people-watching and love-of-life in North America. From the charm of the many dynamic diverse urban neighborhoods to the majesty of the Saint Lawrence River viewed from Ile Sainte-Helene to Old Montreal to taking in the gleaming city from Parc Mont Royal...one rushed afternoon in Montreal is far too little. <BR> <BR>I stick with my advice: pick one city and enjoy it for the 3 days. OR if you do go to both, spend the night at least in your second-choice city. Want more quaint, go with Quebec, want more urban/cosmopolitan, go with Montreal as your major destination. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip! DAN

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 08:18 AM
Breian Kilgore

I'm casting another vote for one city only, since you've got just three days. <BR> <BR>As far as I'm concerned, Quebec City is a nice place if you love Canadian history or eating in toruisty, but very good, restaurants. And it's worth a day, unless you want to walk around and see old buildings day after day. <BR> <BR>Montreal, on the other hand, has lots of old buildings, too, plus modern buildings, better shopping, even more good to great restaurants, more and better museums, and is perhaps easier to deal with if you speak only English. <BR> <BR>If you had a week, I'd send you to Quebec City, too. But for three days, stick to one, and my vote's for Montreal, unless you are a serious history buff. <BR> <BR>If you want to try both cities, check into train travel between the two. You'd probably find the drive between the two cities long and semi-boring, interspersed with terror. <BR> <BR>BAK

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Donna

We visit Montreal frequently and can't get enough of it. If you want to see Quebec City, go there. A day in one and two in the other may not do either justice (neither would several weeks or more) but you'll have seen both. On our first trip to Montreal, we took a one day bus tour to Quebec City and that was fine for a look-see.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 06:42 AM
Daniel Williams

Donna, <BR> <BR>Too true about several weeks possibly not being enough. I lived in Montreal for 5 years and still always look forward to going back...even on these return visits, I discover new charming, unique cafés, amazing restaurants, delightful stores...As for Quebec City, I've spent a total of 3 days there in my life (2 trips) and I was ALWAYS sad to leave. <BR> <BR>DAN