Montreal Jazz Fest

Apr 25th, 2003, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Montreal Jazz Fest

I'll be visiting Montreal for the annual Jazz Fest in July and it looks like all but one of the concerts have sold out. Can anyone tell me where I can find a listing of other venues (free?) and ticket agents. Also, are there rules to abide by (i.e. no skates, no backpacks, etc) and any advise on what to avoid & bring to the festival.

I'll be staying at Les Passants du Sans Soucy @ Old Montreal. The reviews have been great, but is the B&B too far from the festival ?

Also, any recommendations on Jazz clubs and other dance clubs (Latin/Salsa/etc) would be great.

Thanks

Apr 25th, 2003, 10:05 AM

Thee is a free newspaper sized guide to the festival that is available throughout the city. They also have a web site, but it's not the easiest to use. There is lots of free music going on starting around noon each day, going until after midnight, usually 2 or 3 things at once. There aren't any rules I can think of, other than no drugs - it's all very casual. A small folding chair or a blanket, a hat, and some sun block are all you will need. There are lots of clubs throughout the city with great music, some are connected to the Jazz Fest. There is a large salsa club downtown just off St. Catherine called (I think) Salsatique. Lots of dance clubs on St. Laurent by Prince Arthur(Le Swimming is fun), live music clubs on Ontario downtown, and all kinds of cafes and clubs on St. Denis. You'll have a great time!
Apr 25th, 2003, 03:40 PM

Here's the website:

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/fijm...lashPlugin=oui

When we were there last year, there were no "rules" as to what you could carry while out and about - and there were plenty of kids on roller blades. There may be rules, though, for the indoor venues.

Be sure to check the dates for the Fireworks as well.

Les Passants du Sans Soucy is a bit of a hike from either of two metro stops.

http://www.stcum.qc.ca/English/metro/a-mapmet.htm

Apr 26th, 2003, 01:52 PM

Here's some good news. This is from a recent e-mail I received from the jazzfest "Tickets for over 200 concerts on sale May 2 and May 9
Newsletter subscribers get first choice of seats during two days of exclusive sales". YOU HAVE NOT missed the boat! There will be plenty of excellent choices--last year, I saw the Winton Marsalis Septet with my family---A once in a lifetime experience.
We really enjoyed many free night outdoor concerts. This year, we plan to stay at a moderate price hotel real close to the fest. Last yeart we had a B&B that was quite a distance from the fest and the weather was killer hot. If you're not really set on a B&B I'd recommend the Crowne Plaza as it is across the street from the subway. This year we have reservations at the Chinatown Holiday Inn--- real close. So, go back to the official website and register for the newsletter---you'll get advance privelege for your choice of paid concerts.
May 1st, 2003, 02:02 PM

We were there 2-3 years ago and loved the free concerts. Our favorite was Jess Cook, flamenco/jazz guitarist. If he or another big name is playing, arrive at the stage at least an hour early for ANY type of seating.
May 3rd, 2003, 09:13 AM

Please see posting: Events In Montreal(Jazz etc)
May 7th, 2003, 06:22 PM

Good News! The oficial jazzfest website has listed this year's indoor concerts for ticket sales
May 19th, 2003, 06:37 AM

Our "book bags" (not really a backpack) were checked a few times last year. About the only other "rule" or limitation is no folding chairs (or non-folding!) allowed to be used in the vicinity of the various outdoor venues.
Jun 21st, 2003, 06:30 AM

Hi. We are also going to the Jazz Fest. Hoping we aren't stationed too far away (looked close on the map)--Hotel St Paul. For those who have been to the Jazz Fest before, is it really necessary to purchase tickets--or are the free shows so wonderful there is no need? What about the fireworks display on July 5th? Is the Jacques Cartier Bridge a good spot for free watching the fireworks? The tickets seem pricey for just a half hour show (we aren't into rides). Thanks!