Montreal Comedy Festival

Search

Montreal Comedy Festival

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montreal Comedy Festival

We are planning a long anniversary weekend in Montreal and booked a VRBO apartment that looks lovely on Saint Paul E. Is it a nice area? Investigating possible amusements, I noticed the comedy festival and booked a Saurday night show. Reading other post on Montreal I ran across recommendations for the Plateau- pardon my ignorance, but what is that? Also the Jean-Talon area. Will the metro be the best way to travel from the Old City? Have never been to Montreal so any advice is most appreciated.
Old May 27th, 2005, 11:59 PM

A few years ago we visited Montreal during Comeday Fest. We stayed right on Rue St Denis at Anne Ma Soeur Ma Soeur and were approximately a five minute walk to the outdoor activities of the festival. Same week there was a caribbean music festival going on as well so lots of activities within a few minutes. It is a lovely spot with lots of shops, restaurants, etc. in a stone's throw.
Old May 28th, 2005, 04:56 AM

I will also be in town for my annual trek to the beautiful city of Montreal on the first weekend of the comedy festival. Which show did you by tickets for? As far as where your staying it is away from the hustle and bustle. We prefer downtown and usually the Sheraton centre where on Hotwire a room goes for around $99 dollars US per night. A 3 day tourist card to ride the metro is well worth the price and will save yu alot of cab fare being that you are staying a little off the beaten path.
Old May 28th, 2005, 11:44 AM

I am going this year also to JFL. Also staying in Loft on St.Paul (aubergeduvieuxport property) Besides the other internet search found info consider/search internet for: Clock Tower-192 steps-free-10-9pm. Shed 16 Labyrinth next to Clock Tower -$12.00-11-9pm. China Town walking tour on the way to or from JFL. International Fireworks Competition Sat 10 pm . Viewed from La Ronde 6 Flags Park Take Subway from JFL or ? to LaRonde. Sun 12noon-1pmish Tam-Jam drum music gathering at the base of the Mountain-Kind of a hippy type crowd since 1980ish, considered a "genuine" event. Silophone and Habitat 67 at the port. LaMenara belly dancing restaurant.
Old May 28th, 2005, 11:46 AM

p.s. look into Waterwall part of JFL events free 9:45 pm I think
Old May 28th, 2005, 12:28 PM

St-Paul is a main street in Old Montreal, which is a fun, very lively area in the summer. The buildings are 18th- or 19th-century, and loaded with charm. Strongly recommended for your stay! You could walk, take the metro, or a quick taxi ride to all events. It is more central than the Jean-Talon area.
Old May 28th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We got tickets for "Daily Show Secrets Revealed". We really like Stephen Colbert and Samantha Bee. I think there are no fireworks that Saturday. I'm glad there is approval for our apartment in Old Montreal. It appears it's not where the evening action is, but will there be a problem taking the metro back there in the evening from say, Plateau Mont Royal (yes, I figured out it was a Greenwich Village type neighborhood) or the Quartier Latin? Anyone done the speed boat rides? TIA
Old May 28th, 2005, 04:50 PM

The fireworks will be running July 13, July 16, and July 23 and start at 1000pm. They can be seen from almost anywhere around Old Montreal and Old Port. I wouldnt miss them, they are incredible. As far as metro from Plateau or Latin Quarter I believe they run till 100 am. The metro is very convenient and easy to navigate. I believe a 3 day tourist card costs around $16 dolars canadian. Also be sure to check out some of the city terraces which are great for people watching. I prefer the Magnetic terrace on top of the hotel De La Montagne, great happy hour and pool bar with a great view of Mt. Royal.
Old May 29th, 2005, 11:33 AM

Don't get the idea that Old Montreal is quiet on summer evenings--it's thronged with pedestrians, and there's lots to do in the area. Instead of bothering with the metro at night, I would just grab a cab. To me, the metro isn't worth the trouble of transferring lines when you're tired, and it doesn't actually stop in the old part of the city (couldn't dig in the historic area), but close to it, so you'd have to walk some distance to your apt. Montreal is known as hack heaven--any time you raise your arm on the street a taxi will screech to a halt--so availability isn't a problem, and it's not that far from the Plateau back to Old Montreal.
Old May 29th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for letting me know there will be fireworks the weekend we are there (although I imagine they'd be pretty hard to miss) and where to watch them. I must have looked at last year's schedule. Lois, thanks for all the information, you're making me feel fine with my impulsive commitment to the VM apartment. Sobolik, thank you for all your research - we've planned many of the same activites. My husband likes your belly dancing restaurant idea!
Old May 31st, 2005, 05:52 AM

You won't regret staying in in Old Montreal, especially as a first time visitor. It's drawbacks are the lack of a convienient metro stop, and it is touristy - however it IS very charming. The Comedy Festival centers around St. Denis, which is on the East end of the downtown ,and runs up to the Plateau. Yes the Plateau area is somewhat like NYC's 'Village'. Jean Talon is fun for a few hours at the market or exploring Little Italy, but I wouldn't recommend it as an area to stay - it's just too far removed from everything else.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 06:08 AM

I also give you thumbs up for your hotel location. Since you will be close by, you MUST stop by Olive et Gourmando, a WONDERFUL bakery (http://www.oliveetgourmando.com) although be careful, I think it is closed on Sundays. There is also an excellent Polish restaurant right beside (Stash, 200 St. Paul W.: 845-6611
Polish cuisine in an Old Montreal institution. Of course, start with the vodka-- the pianist may keep you there. Moderately priced. )
The metro is right close by and on the same line as the JFL Festival (probably Berri station), the Plateau (Mont-Royal station), and Jean-Talon market (Jean-Talon metro). Have a wonderful stay!
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all again for the great advice. I'm 1/2 Polish and miss my Babcia's cooking. Stash - great name !