Montreal hotels - advice needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2018, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have three nights in Montreal at the end of August, arriving and leaving by train into the central station.

Originally I had thought to stay at a Best Western hotel as I have plenty of points and booked the Ville Marie on Peel Street, but I was having a play around last night, and found a couple I liked more.

one is the Hotel Particular St Martin which is near the Ville Marie, which just seems to be a nicer hotel, and has a pool, and the other is the Bonaventure, which is near the station and also has a pool and what seems to be a lot more outdoor space.

They are all three about the same price, and all have free wifi, the only difference being that the Best western includes breakfast. However as I prefer really just to have coffee and pastry for breakfast that doesn't seem to be much of a disadvantage with the other.

https://www.bestwestern.co.uk/hotels...l-suites-67012

Montreal Boutique Hotel: Le St-Martin Downtown Montreal

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

While I'm in Montreal I'm most interested in seeing the old city and the waterfront, a museum or two, and the botanical gardens. The only evening activity I have planned is a concert on my last night at the Montreal Symphony so I'd like to be within walking distance of the concert hall, though as the concert doesn't start till 8.45 pm I suppose it might be quite late when it finishes and I might just get a cab anyway. I'd like to have nice restaurants within walking distance and what appeals about the Bonaventure, apart from the position and the pool, is that it has a lot of outdoor space for evening drinks, etc.

Any thoughts, plus or negative, gratefully received.
Old May 26th, 2018, 08:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
It will be easier to find coffee and pastry in the St-Martin's neighborhood.
It is also near two metro stops (Peel and McGill) on the green metro line. The closest metro to the Botanical Gardens is Pie-IX, also on the green line.
There is no need to take a taxi after the concert, St-Martin is an easy walk from Place des Arts or one metro stop.
Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and the McCord are nearer to the St-Martin.
Old Port and Old Montreal are an easy walk.
Old May 27th, 2018, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once you are in the downtown area it is very easy to get around by subway. I have the summer off and love to visit my on town and all the festivals and activities, by using our subway system. It is safe even at night. No need to worry. Every neighborhood has it's own personality. You would be smart to visit different ones for coffee or drinks. Le Plateau, Griiffintown, St.Henri...

As for the hotel, the the reviews. Any hotel in the downtown area will be more pricey, but I guess more convenient.
Old May 27th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much, both of you.

The impression I get is that you are guiding me towards the St Martin's area rather than staying so close to the station. Have I got that right?
Old May 27th, 2018, 01:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes.

BTW, you didn't ask, but if you are interested there is a Polish patisserie on Ontario Street, about 100 ft from the Frontenac Metro station. They have pączki, ( Polish donughts) serve very good coffee, sandwiches and meals.

I have no financial interests, just like their stuff.

http://www.patisseriewawel.com/

Last edited by cdnyul; May 27th, 2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old May 27th, 2018, 04:06 PM

Le St.Martin is beautiful . And yes, I feel it is very well located. If the price is right, I would go with that one.

A nice stop for coffee, nearby is Parvis or FInca. Not sure if you could reserve. If you like mexican, Escondite is very good, but you need to reserve. For Italian, I love Salumi e Vino at the old port. Ask for Mario and he will serve you a sample of his favorite dishes. Etat major, for french cuisine or Le Pois Penche. For Jazz and drinks, Upstairs,is my favorite place.

Did you say you were seeing a play at the Centaur? Botanical garden, Visit the old Port, Old Montreal, Notre dame cathedral AURA, Downtown St.Catherine st for shopping. Atwater Market(visit boat bar Canal lounge cafe) I hope I am not confusing you. I don't know what you are more interested in, so I am just shooting ideas at you.
Hope I answered your question
Maria
Old May 28th, 2018, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

ok, I can take a hint! Le Martin it is. I'm guessing that it's only a 10 minute walk or so from the station so not too far with my hopefully not too large suitcase!

Thanks for the polish patisserie recommendation cdnyul - it's a bit out of the way from where it looks as if I'll be staying but if I get down that way I'll look out for it.

Happy to have ideas thrown at me, Maria, and thanks for all those ideas. Montreal was never on my radar, but it makes a convenient stopping off point for me between the Fodors GTG in Toronto, and going south to meet up with other fodorites in NE; the Adirondack train which I understand goes from Montreal to NYC will deposit me at Port Kent so I can catch the ferry across Lake Champlain to Burlington. Much nicer than flying, and it gives me a chance to see more of Canada.

My main eating interests are french [seeing as I'm in Montreal] and seafood, but Italian would be great too. Mexican not so much. I don't have theatre tickets [good idea, I'll have a look at that theatre] but I do have a ticket for the Symphony on the Friday night, so somewhere nice to eat round there/en route from my hotel would be good. There seems to be a portugese restaurant near the hotel plus quite a few french restaurants - and recommendations for those?

As for things to do - the port, the old town and the botanical gardens should just about do me!
Old May 28th, 2018, 03:19 PM

Sounds like you have a nice to do list, while in Montreal.

If you like french Bonaparte is also a nice place, as is pois penche, but these aren't cheap places

For Portuguese , my Portuguese friend says Ferriera or Campo, again not cheap

You could always check out https://montreal.eater.com/

We often drive to Burlington to do a little shopping. Sounds like a great rip you have planned. I wish you good weather!

Let me know if you have any other questions
Old May 28th, 2018, 06:36 PM

Oh my boys just told me I should be suggesting you go to Schwartz or Dunn's for smoke meat
Old May 29th, 2018, 05:02 AM

I was thinking the same thing--smoked meat is a big local specialty. Dunn's is close to your hotel.
The other things you might want to try are poutine and Montreal style bagels. There are two rival bakeries for the latter, Fairmount and St-Viateur
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/m...ars/index.html
They are located near each other so you can easily try both if you want to compare them.

I am not a poutine fan so can't give you any suggestions.
Old May 29th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

ok, I know I could look it up, but what's poutine??? and why don't you like it, VT?

Bagels though I do know about though I don't think I've ever had a fresh one. Definitely something to try. Nice article, BTW.

thanks for the continued recommendations, mcgiraldi. The pois penche looks like a great choice and nice and close to my hotel - just the ticket. Some of the others I've found are quite pricey but like quite a few french restaurants they offer very good lunch time deals so depending on where i find myself, that might be a possibly for a bit of a splurge.

at this rate I'll need to be in Montreal for a week to eat at all these places!
Old May 29th, 2018, 08:44 AM

Classic poutine is a dish consisting of French fries and cheese curds topped with gravy. The combination is very heavy and just doesn't appeal to me. It is becoming more popular in the US in recent years. There is an annual Poutine Week in the winter, and there are restaurants that specialize in poutine with various toppings added. For example
Menu
Old May 29th, 2018, 05:36 PM

Yes, I was going to mention poutine, but it isn't for everyone and not sure how much of a treck it would be to get there from where you will be.

You're right, you need a week to eat and see all that Montreal has to offer. Enjoy our city!
Old May 30th, 2018, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the explanation and the link, VT. It really doesn't look like the sort of thing I like to eat on holiday - I prefer to eat lighter foods, certainly during the day and would much rather have, say, oysters and a glass of wine than what looks like a plateful of stodge, which though tasty, would fill me up for the rest of the day.
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 10:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Annhig,

Are you coming to New England, too?

I don’t know what your meet-up plans are, but if you care to message me, I‘d love to tag on if I’m able. I would not want to miss the opportunity to say hello and buy you a drink. I live in lower New England.

gruezi
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, gruezi. I haven't known what my exact itinerary was going to be until this week but now I do I'll PM you.
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 01:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Great. And if I can help with the trip planning in any way let me know.

I’ve had a few nice trips to Montreal and the Eastern Townships - inspired by Louise Penny reading.

I also did a “literary tour” of bits of New England. Met up with Jubilada that time. And, with the WFD crowd another time in VT. If you are going to be In Massachusetts you might check out Tanglewood in Lenox MA for music performances. It is the summer home of the BSO but also features other wonderful concerts.

https://www.bso.org/
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips, gruezi. I'll have a look at the Tanglewood schedule.

It had never occurred to me to visit Montreal before someone [can't remember who, sadly] suggested it might make a good stopping off point between Toronto and the US and it enables me to get the train rather than flying which I much prefer. The more I look at it, the more it seems to offer and I already have a ticket for the Symphony on the Friday night which I'm really looking forward to. I'm staying on the edge of the old town and I'm looking forward to exploring one of the oldest cities in North America as well as what seem to be more restaurants than you can shake a stick at! looks as if I'll be spoilt for choice so if you've any recommendations please let me have them.

BTW, for those who were kindly helping me choose where to stay, I eventually decided that as I was likely to spend most time in the Old Town it was sensible to stay there so acting on the advice of ElizabethS, I have now booked a room here:

Luxury Hotel Montreal - Hôtel le Saint-Sulpice

Slightly further from the station but I was likely to get a cab anyway, and as I say much closer to where I want to be.
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 05:31 PM

annhig, Tanglewood is west of me an hour. It seems quite out of the way as far as I understand your plans, and anyway, the music season ends August 26, I think.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

thanks, jubi - i hadn't got round to looking at where it is, and on Aug 26th I will still be in Toronto.

Strike Tanglewood from the plans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -