Montreal for 3 days

Search

Montreal for 3 days

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montreal for 3 days

We are staying in Montreal for 3 days. Any suggestions for sightseeing, restaurants, must see places, or places not worth the bother? Thanks.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Do you like to shop, people watch, walk in funky neighborhoods, see the most important sites/museums, et....

also tell us a price range for restaurants, there are so many..... are you adventurous for food or traditional...

I'm assuming you'll be staying straight downtown..
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Yes to all of the above. We don't mind spending a bit for a special meal and especially like seafood and pasta. Yes, we're staying downtown.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 02:59 PM

We just got back with 2 girls 14 and 17 and my wife. Montreal= (3 nights 2 1/2 days for us)
The kids were quite tuned in to the subway experience so buy the 3 day tourist pass especially if they never did the subway before. And it is a great way to get around for adults also. Go to the Mountain top we were in awe of the Chalet size. We climbed to the cross the hard way from Mont Royal Street area after catching 10 minutes of the Tam Jam hippy thing. They liked the climb (girls in skirts). And then came down the steps that are torn out - DO NOT GO DOWN LIKEWISE - at your own risk! They did not care for the trecherous desent. It is a long walk otherwise. They found the Lock operation facinating in the port. They also really like the Shed 16 Labrynth on Clock tower pier. I did not get into like they did. Climbing the clock tower is OK Walking through the neighborhoods (beside old town) was quite interesting like when going to and from the Mountain. They did not connect with China town walk though. They did not connect with the street performers like I thought they would. Old town is lively to 1:00 am or so but not until 11am or so. Simply walking through it frequently is enough. Such as in the evinings after dark. That is why I housed where I did. (we housed on Saint Paul so I could frequently walk/watch) The kids are too young to appreachiate the nostalgic "stuff" but even so it was ok/cool for them. The Bacilica was so so OK but visulally grand. IF YOU DO NOTHING ELSE GO TO LARONDE via subway AND GET SEATS FOR THE INTERNATIONAL FIRE WORKS COMPETITION. IF IT IS STILL GOING ON. kids and amusement parks need no comment. For me the adult words cannot describe the fire works that I witnessed put on by the Chech Republic. Did I say words cannot describe? Do the wooden roller coaster Monstere, very cool! The old fire station history in Youville stables area is worth it. We did the carriage ride at night. it was worth it but try and pre identify a driver that turns around when offering commentary. many of the drivers are women and lack the big booming voice like I have. We did not really find anything not worth it and disappointing except for the tourist information building by J Cartier square, But that is only for people who suddenly find themselves plopped there and have no clue what to do anyway. We concentrated on the old town, port and Latin quarter area. Timing is everything so do careful internet research for what is happening when.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:54 PM

We just returned from Montreal. For sightseeing, I definitely recommend Notre Dame Basilica. It is absolutely beautiful, one of the most beautiful churches I have seen. Right now there is an exhibit in the crypt of the church on the legacy of the popes, from St. Peter to Pope John Paul II, which is well worth it, with original artifacts & items from the Vatican Museum. I believe it ends some time in Sept. We also enjoyed the Botanical Gardens, 3rd largest in the world. Another highlight is the Jean-Tallon outdoor market in Little Italy on Jean-Tallon (sp?)street. Also enjoyed walking through the various Montreal neighborhoods, such as the plateau of Mont Royal, Latin Quarter & Old Montreal.

Restaurants - there are tons of ethnic restaurants in the plateau neighborhood, on St. Denis St., & Duluth, inexpensive, BYOB. For a splurge, I recommend the Blue Raisin, on St. Denis St., beyond Mont Royal St.(going away from Old Montreal). Gourmet French food, fine dining, they change their menu every 2 weeks.

When I was planning our trip, some posters didn't recommend the restaurants on Prince Arthur St...they called them tourist traps. We checked them out but weren't impressed; they are inexpensive but seemed like they have ordinary menus...nothing too interesting.

For lunch one day, we did eat at Ben's on Maisoneuve, near the Underground & McGill. A friend whose husband is from Montreal recommended it. It is a diner, reasonable & has excellent potato pancakes!!

Hope this helps!